Youtube videos no longer responsive since theme update

Since updating to the latest version of Sydney Pro, all my Youtube videos have ceased to be responsive. They appear tiny on desktop and on mobile, they are the correct width, but there is a large white space under each one.
I have been using the “insert from URL” method to embed the videos and until now, it has worked beautifully. Did something change in the functionality? Searching for answers online, someone suggested adding this code to the functions php file:

add_theme_support( ‘responsive-embeds’ );

I tried that but it didn’t work.

Any suggestions? Thanks! Here’s a sample post with embedded Youtubes:

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you have run into issues. I am happy to help out.

As checked with my test site, I can’t get the same issue. Embedding video is working fine to me.

Can you let me know the way you add the YouTube video into your page? Do you use either Embed or YouTube block?

Regards,
Kharis
aThemes Support

Hi Karis, as I mentioned above, I click on “add media” then “insert from URL”. Never had a problem until now. Hope you can help. Thanks!

P. S. I should mention, when I go to edit a post, all videos appear full size in visual mode. Also, I use the classic editor plug-in, not the block editor. Could that be the problem? I’ll disable it and let you know.

Update: I disabled each plug-in one by one, then cleared the cache. Made no difference, so I re-enabled them. One odd thing: I noticed when the page first loads, the videos appear full-size, but immediately shrink down to miniature (within 2 seconds). Any thoughts?? Thanks for your help!

Hi,

Thank you for getting back.

Can you enabing block editor and coverting your content to blocks, then removing your video and reinserting it either with an Embed or YouTube block?

Regards,
Kharis
aThemes Support

I’ve never used the block editor, and if I have to remove and re-insert all my videos, I might as well scrap the whole site! There are hundreds of them. Is that the only solution? Everything was fine until the theme updated.

As a temporary solution, I have installed the Fitvids plug-in, but I’d rather resolve this without having to do that, or without needing to use the video blocks. Please let me know if there is another way. Thank you.

Great! Glad to hear that you found the alternative solution with Fitvids plugin.

I don’t have other recommendation as using video/YouTube block is the best solution without needing extra plugin.

Regards,
Kharis
aThemes Support

But why? What changed? The videos were all responsive before. No need for blocks or plug-ins! I have hundreds of videos going back 10 years. Can you imagine how long it would take to change them all? I thought Sydney Pro was a fully responsive theme. This is disappointing.

Hi,

Can you disable your Fitvids plugin for a bit?
There shouldn’t be any issues, we just changed a lot of JS code so you’re probably seeing cache. We were also using Fitvids before.

1 Like

Hi Vlad, I’ll try it and let you know. Thanks!

Without Fitvids, the videos went back to miniature size. :frowning: Note, they start out responsive, then shrink within 2 seconds. How odd! Also, they appear full-size in edit mode (I’m sticking with the classic editor for now, using Advanced Editor Tools plug-in. I did disable this and all other plug-ins while trying to solve the problem, but that made no difference.)

Alright, keep using Fitvids for now and I’ll try to figure out under what circumstances this happens and will fix it. Thanks for letting us know.

1 Like

The issue has been resolved and the fix will be available in the next update. Thanks again for letting us know about this.

1 Like

Thanks for solving it! I’ll report back after the update.

Hi Vlad.

Same Problem here and same temporary solution.
When will the mentioned update be available?

Regards,
Jörg

Hi Jörg,

Can you let me know which version of Sydney Pro you’re running?

We have fixed video responsive issue in the v.2.0.28: https://athemes.com/changelog/sydney-pro/. Perhaps you’re still running the older version?

Regards,
Kharis
aThemes Support

Hi Karis,

Wordpress hasn’t made 2.0.28 available yet, so I’m still on 2.0.27. How do we update?

Hi Karis.

Until yesterday the same here, but today wordpress offered me the update an after installing (v2.0.28) and deactivating the FitVids-Plugin everythings works well again.

Thanks for your support.
Jörg

1 Like