Updates change back my custom code to default

Hi!

My two websites built on Sydney I made some changes in, like header width, overlay opacity and so on. But once like a week or two the whole code changes back to default. Every time I have to correct it to what it should look like. What exactly changes the code, Wordpress updates or the theme updates or something else? Do you have control over it? Can I make my slightly changed code remain the same forever?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Anton

P.S.

Websites are: www.cofrozen.com, and www.antoncimachowicz.com

Hi,

Where you have added / modified the codes? In the theme’s files or using a Child Theme or a Custom Code Plugin?

Best Regards,
Csaba

Hi, Csaba!

I just go to the back end in Wordpress, and change everything in the “Appearance”- Editor- .php/style.css files.

Yours sincerely,

Anton

Hi,

That will be removed after theme updates, so better use this plugin to add Custom CSS to your theme, that will not be removed after theme updates: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

Or if you want to modify .php files too, then create a Child Theme and make the modifications only in that.

Best Regards,
Csaba

Dear Csaba,

Thank you very much for the hint about the custom CSS plugin! I have just done it, it’s an easy and convenient solution.

The only remaining thing I would like to cope with is the “Theme by…” text in the footer. Do you see any possibility except creating a child theme, which I believe, requires a bit of an effort (at least for an unexperienced user like me) I could change it to my custom text, for example, as I have it, the Copyright annotation, so that it remains constant after any automatic updates?

Yours Sincerely,

Anton

Hi,

That can be saved if you modify footer.php in a Child Theme, but you can simply create a Child Theme using this plugin and create a footer.php file inside the Child Theme and add the modification of the text inside it.

Best Regards,
Csaba