The 'Read More' tag has disappeared. Lost columns too!

Hi, I’ve been using Sydney Pro for a while, but recently I had an issue, I can’t recall how it happened where my blog’s front page stopped displaying properly. I had it so my post excerpts showed in multiple columns, so you could see more of my content at once. Now it’s gone to a single column of excerpts. I would prefer to have multiple columns again but can’t see where to do it, but more importantly, even though I insert the ‘Read More’ tag, the link isn’t showing up, only the image is ‘active’ allowing someone to click through to the post itself.
https://www.adrianselby.com.
Would be grateful if you could advise on how to return my previews to show across columns as well as how to get the ‘Read More’ tag working again and let me know if you need more info.
Thank you
Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am happy to help with your queries.

If I am not wrong, the setting you’re looking for is located under the Appearance menu > Customize > Blog options > Layout > Blog layout > enable “Masonry (grid style)”. After saving the changes, you may need to clear cache (if applied on your site. Also, clearing cache/history on your web browser and restarting it may be required.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Kharis
aThemes Support

Hi, thanks for pointing out the masonry layout. It’s back, though it seems oddly aligned to the left. Could this layout be centered? See link to see what I mean.

The other problem remains. I know the title of each post is clickable but the ‘Read More’ tag is not showing.

You’re welcome!

As checked, seems likely the posts columns layout is already centered as now I am seeing two posts per row. You added the working CSS code, didn’t you?

AFAIK. The theme doesn’t have an option for this. And it should be a custom code added on your side. Try the sydney_child_elipsis_link custom function solution writted on this thread. Hope that works for you as well.

Regards,
Kharis
aThemes Support

Hi there, thank you again for your help. I found the css for the width, and adjusting it seemed to work.
Also, the function you pointed me to works as well, so that’s cool :slight_smile: It does mean that I can’t customise the preview text to be exactly what I want for each post, e.g. a short, punchy statement, as the ellipsis doesn’t kick in before a minimum number of words. It’s what it is. I can’t bear the thought of installing yet another plugin!

Hi,

You can use the post’s excerpt to suppy your own preview text.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 04.58.39

You should add […] at the end of the line in order to make the read more link shows up per the added function.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Kharis
aThemes Support