Testimonials carousel displays full content

The testimonial carousel on the front page displays the full content of a testimonial, but the full testimonial page only displays the excerpt. I need to reverse that so the excerpt shows on the front page and the testimonials page displays the full content. How do I do that?

here’s the front page: http://voralaw.com
here’s the testimonials page: http://voralaw.com/testimonials/

Everything else is okay, and I’ve created a child theme (Sydney-child). I just need to know how to customize that page. I do want excerpts only for other categories, so I only want to change the testimonials page. I’ve created an archives-testimonials.php file, but don’t know how to modify it to change to showing full content.

Elisabeth

Hello Elisabeth,

Please try doing these steps:

1. Install and activate the Conditional Tags Shortcode plugin;
  2. From your site admin, go to Appearance > Customize > Blog options. Enable the option that says “Check this box to display the full content of your posts on all archives.” in the “CONTENT/EXCERPT” section;
  3. Edit your testimonial item. In the text editor, use this format to display the excerpt on front page:
    [if is_front_page] 
    Your excerpt text on front page goes here
    [/if]

For full content, wrap it with [if is_archive is_single]…[/if] conditional tag

[if is_archive is_single]
    Your full testimonial text goes here 
    [/if]
  1. Update

Regards,
Kharis

2 Problems - 1 As I said in the original post, I don’t want all category lists displaying all text by default. We have other categories on the site that do use excerpts and that needs to be unaffected.
2 - I want the excerpt to be picked up automatically from the excerpt box for all testimonials.

I found a way to make this work without affecting the other categories. Thanks for the help! I did not make the changes to blog options, but did install the Conditional Tags module to use just for testimonials. It works pretty well with just a few tweaks. I was able to get the excerpt only on the front page with the full text on the archive page (testimonials). The client has full instructions for future testimonials, so it should work going forward as well.

Hello there,

Awesome! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Please let us know in a new topic if you have any further questions, or if we can provide you with any other assistance.

Regards,
Kharis