Sydney Theme Update Correctly

Hello Kharis,

I see that I have to update my theme. I have used a lot of Simple Custom CSS and some plugins for additional functions. If I understand it right I can not update the Theme without Child Theme. Am I right? If I do it I lose all my CSS.

Do you have some Guides how can I correctly update my theme.

I have read many articles about it, But I ask you, because I want to be sure.

thank you !

ilona

Hello there,

Because I can’t speak non-English, I can’t totally understand the system warning is saying. Could you please temporarily switch to English and re-send the screenshot?

Regards,
Kharis

Hi Kharis,

I am sorry. Yes, of course. This is the english version of it:

thank you
Ilona

Main theme update doesn’t depend on any child theme. The displayed notification warns us to check whether main theme’s files have been modified or no. If yes, you should not do immediate update before make a backup of files have been edited. As all files are overwritten during update, you should re-do the edits and make adjustments in the new version.

If you didn’t do any change directly in the theme’s files, you can go update the theme.

Regards,
Kharis

Hi Kharis,

main theme’s files have been modified or no ----- What Kind of file exactly? Which files/adjustments will/can be deleted with theme update?

I think I have just change some CSS.:

Schuld I copy it? and then re-add it in Custom CSS again?

Regards,
Ilona

Hello there,

There’s no way to detect it unless self notes. Update process will replace the entire files.

Regarding main CSS file, you could find edited lines by comparing the original code in the style.css file from the WordPress.org’s SVN repo (choose one match with your current version). Copy the entire code, and paste to https://gist.github.com/. Save. Then copy style.css of your own. Edit your gist, delete all code and paste your last copy into there. To get the difference, go to Revisions menu.

28%20AM

Now you could update the theme. Afterwards, re-do CSS code adjustments. But before doing so, try to use Additional CSS under Appearance > Customize to host your custom CSS code. For example, enter this code:

.page .content-area .hentry {
       display: none;
    }

this will override of which exists in the main style.css. We’d strongly recommend you use Additional CSS instead of editing the theme’s main stylesheet – to avoid update issue in the future.

Regards,
Kharis

Hello Kharis,

I am sorry, it it not easy ti understand. I am beginner in WP and in code.

I ask one more time in easy stages.

1. Did you mean that if I want to know which code is changed I should make notes during my code corrections.

2. Update process will replace all sydney files? these files?:

1. Regarding main CSS file, you could find edited lines by comparing the original code ———— by comparing main CSS from Sydney and my Custom CSS?

2. Where exactly should I paste it?

3. Then copy style.css of your own ——— Is it my Simple Custom CSS? Where should I copy this one?

4. Edit your gist, delete all code and paste your last copy into there. —————— Which code should I delete ? With „My last copy“ do you mean my Simple Custom CSS?

Can I understand in this way which changes will be deleted with update? Und just then should I update?

It could be cool if this theme could have an Update Guide. :frowning: It is not easy, if you are not programmer.

thanks
Ilona

Hello Kharis one more time,

if I did only Simple Custom CSS changes on my site, I can update without child theme. Am I right?

if I not sure I have to check it as you have described above?

und if I will see that I have not only Simple Custom CSS changes, I should make child theme .

is it correct?

ilona

Hello Ilona,

Refer to this codex which comprehensively explains child theme.

Do this only if you want to backup the changes. So you could be able to replicate it in child theme’s style.css or Additional CSS under Apperance > Customize.

It’s totally up to you. If you understand the risk, you can go update the theme.

Regards,
Kharis

Hello Kharis,

I am so sorry, but I do not understand what I can do right now. What is better for me right now. Your answers are not concrete. It’s totally up to you. ---- It is not helpful. It should be better to know what is necessary and what not in my case. All Articles about child Theme are not for existed sites. That is my problem. How should I correct update existed site without child theme.

Please help one more time
Thank you
Ilona

Hello there,

Very sorry for being unclear. I suggest you to update the theme. But before doing so, make a copy of style.css and save it anywhere in your computer drive. So you could easily recall which adjustments/modifications you’ve done before.

Regards,
Kharis

Hello Kharis,

thank you one more time for your patience. Now I understand it. I should copy the style.css always before I update the theme. So that if something is wrong after update , I can paste this file again in FTP. Is it correct?

what about my Simple Custom CSS. Should I copy it too?

thanks
ilona

You shouldn’t need to paste the entire code. Pick ones changed before. You couldn’t recall them, you could compare both style.css with https://gist.github.com service.

Simple Custom CSS hosts code separately and it won’t be affected upon theme update.

Regards,
Kharis

Hello Kharis,

it is clear now. But from your link I can not compare the css. I do not understand where should I do it. I am sorry. Please show me where I will do it.

Regards,
Ilona

Hello there,

1. Visit gist.github.com and create a new gist;
  2. Copy the entire code in the old style.css;
  3. Paste into your gist;
  4. Save; then edit it;
  5. Copy the entire code in the new style.css;
  6. Go back to your gist and remove all the code in there; then paste the last copy;
  7. Click revision to view the difference.

Before doing so, please read this documentation first.

https://help.github.com/articles/creating-gists/

Regards,
Kharis