Sydney Pro - include just the widgets from the Yoga child theme?

I’m setting up a third website using Sydney Pro. I had a look at the new child themes and there are some widgets/layout options in the Yoga Child theme that I’d like to use:

• ‘Yoga FP: Services’
  • ‘Yoga FP: Classes’ and category
  • ‘Yoga FP: Trainer’

Is there a way of importing just the Yoga FP Widgets and Classes category, without having to install the Yoga child theme, activate the Yoga child theme and import all of the pages and images for the Yoga Child theme?

Many thanks.

Hello,

I don’t think that there is an easy way to import Yoga widgets to Sydney Pro.

But please note that it’s not necessary to import demo content, you can just follow documentation to create layout that meets your needs.

Please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Thanks Roman. Is there some specific documentation that explains how to set up widgets? I had a look but didn’t see anything.
Yoga has some extra widgets / widgets that work differently to Sydney Pro - for example:
Yoga FP Services widget - has a Pre-Title and Title (not just Title) and shows the services to the left and right of a centred image which can be selected. In Sydney Pro - those options do not exist.
Yoga FP Class widget - has a Pre-Title and Title (not just Title) - and uses entries that are created in a new ‘Classes’ category (like Projects and Clients) - that don’t exist in Sydney Pro.

I’d like to be able to lay my content out in the way that the Yoga FP Widgets allow - but I don’t see a way to do that in the Sydney FP Parent Theme. How could I do that?

Many thanks.

Hello,

1. Here are Sydney Pro widget documentation pages:
    https://docs.athemes.com/article/108-adding-rows-widgets-pages
    https://docs.athemes.com/article/117-extra-widgets-in-sydney-pro

2. As I said, I don’t think that you can use Yoga widgets in Sydney Pro easily.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Thanks Roman,
I can add rows and widgets to rows, my question related to the widgets themselves. Is it possible to create new widgets within Sydney FP? Ideally, I’d like to use the widgets from Yoga FP. As they’re a child theme to Sydney Pro - is there no way they can be made available in the parent theme?
Many thanks.

Okay, I will try to explain it more precisely.

Widgets .php files are in widgets directory within theme folder. But widgets have to be registered and styled. Yoga child theme has PHP code in functions.php file that registers additional widgets and CSS code in style.css file that styles those additional widgets.

I think that it’s possible to integrate all that into the parent theme, but it requires some work. This goes beyond our support policy. It’s considered advanced customization. As an option, you can contact Codeable for this kind of service, or find a reputable freelancer on Upwork.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Thanks Roman - that sounds far beyond what I’d be capable of.

Thanks for the suggestion to contact Codeable/Upwork. I’m guessing that any tailoring at that depth would likely get written on future Sydney upgrades.

Do you have any plans to add widgets similar to Yoga to the Sydney Parent theme any time soon - particularly the sub-title line and the three column/middle dividing image option to the Services widget?

Many thanks.

You are welcome! Well, it’s possible, I added it to our list as a feature request.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, we won’t make any of the child theme widgets available in the parent theme because it would be against what we’re trying to achieve with the child themes. And we’re not making any major changes at this point anyway because we’re consider rewriting everything for Elementor compatibility.

What I don’t fully understand (and I’m sorry if I missed it) is why you can’t use the Yoga child theme. Based on that we can maybe come up with a solution, perhaps stripping the child theme a bit for you. There won’t be any updates for it anyway because it’s a child theme and we might override people’s custom code if they have any.

Thanks Vlad,

I was keen to use just some of the yoga child theme widgets within the Sydney Pro main theme, as I’ve set the rest of the site up, and I thought that installing Yoga would give me a lot of re-working to do.

If you’re considering rewriting everything for Elementor - does that mean you’re moving away from PageBuilder from Site Origin in your themes?