Sydney Pro child theme problem

I’m having problems getting the Sydney Pro child theme to work. I downloaded the “sydney pro child” files from youre site and adapted them according my site. I also read all topics here in the forum and the wordpress explanation of how to set up child pages but still can’t get it to run. I’m not using any cache PlugIns on WP.

When activation the child theme I get menu structures, content and few colors right but there are none of the original pictures in the child theme. Mainly the Header slider is screwed up (none of the original content - text and pics)

Here’s my “style.css”:

/*
Theme Name: Sydney Pro Child
Theme URI: http://mvz.tim-o.com/themes/sydney-pro-ii-child
Author: aThemes
Author URI: http://mvz.tim-o.com
Template: sydney-pro-ii
Version: 1.0
License: GNU General Public License v2 or later
License URI: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
Text Domain: sydney-pro-ii-child
*/

and the “functions.php” I use (this is the version recommended by WP - I also tried it with you function.php from the downloaded child sample - same effects):

<?php
function my_theme_enqueue_styles() {

$parent_style = 'parent-style'; // This is 'sydney-style' for the Sydney theme.

wp_enqueue_style( $parent_style, get_template_directory_uri() . '/style.css' );
    wp_enqueue_style( 'child-style',
        get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/style.css',
        array( $parent_style ),
        wp_get_theme()->get('Version')
    );
}
add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'my_theme_enqueue_styles' );
?>

In your template you used 'parent-style" instead of ‘sydney-style’ as it is used in the functions.php in the original theme (I tried both but no change) - what would be right?

Any idea what I did wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Timo

Hello Timo,

When activation the child theme I get menu structures, content and few colors right but there are none of the original pictures in the child theme. Mainly the Header slider is screwed up (none of the original content - text and pics)

It’s normal that you lose your Customize settings (including header slider content) after child theme activation. Each theme has its own options storage in database, even child themes. So you would have to configure it once again.

Please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roman,
thanks very much. I wasn’t aware I had to edit the customized setting again. Done that another problem occurs. I’m using Sydney Pro that allows 4 Footer Widgets. The setting is set to 4 Widgets but ony 3 are displayd in the customizer (unlike in the original theme where still 4 footers are shown!). I made sure that in the “Footer” section of the customizer “4” is activated! But only 3 Footers are shown in the Widget section. Any idea?
Cheers, Timo

Hello Timo, please try to do the following.

1. Select Four option in Customize → Footer section.

2. Click Publish button and reload page in your browser.

3. Check Customize → Widgets section once again.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Did as recommended … no change … still only 3 Footers in the widget section available … :frowning:
To be more precise:
Selecting 1 footer gives me 3 widgets
Selecting 2 footer gives me 1 widget
Selecting 3 footer gives me 2 widgets
Selecting 4 footer gives me 3 widgets

Okay Timo,

How many footer widget areas you see in Appearance → Widgets section?

Kind Regards, Roman.

Excellent question :slight_smile:
I found 4 … moved the content (that was formerly in footer 4 and now was located additionally in footer 1) back to footer 4 and all are shown in the customizer again. So all works fine now.
Thanks for your help - very much appreciated!
Cheers, Timo

Great! You are welcome Timo :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Roman.