Sydney: Overlay on Header

Hi

Is it possible to include an overlay on the Header images on the front page? Or does this have to be done manually?

Best

Jon

Equally, I’m trying to set a header for individual pages, as per the instructions. Clicking “Toggle individual header image for this page”, input the required details, but it doesn’t show up.

Check test.audiobaymanagement.com/fraseranderson.

I’ve also set the Home page Header to only show on the Homepage, but makes no difference.

Can you help with this also?

Many thanks

Jon

Hello there,

In Sydney, it has to be done manually.

Could you please try to apply the following CSS code through the Simple Custom CSS plugin or child theme’s style.css?

.slide-inner{
  z-index: 3;
}

.slide-item:after{
  position: absolute;
  top: 0;
  bottom: 0;
  width: 100%;
  height: 100%;
  content: '';
  background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.4);
  z-index: 2;
}

To change the overlay color, adjust background-color value. Please refer here.

> I’ve also set the Home page Header to only show on the Homepage, but makes no difference.

As far as I know, Sydney theme doesn’t have such that option. Could you please take a screenshot and share it here if you have something different?

Regards,
Kharis

Hi Kharis

Thanks for that, the overlay is now working.

Re the Home Page Header, I’ve attached screenshots here: https://app.box.com/s/vj8exedyafjdptfegzyuupgx8qtktvpf

As you can see it is giving me options to have a separate header for each individual page, which I would like to have. But it is not appearing correctly so far. Could you advise?

Finally, you advised me previously regarding an issue with the employee photos not being clickable on the Moesia theme, and asked me to follow this thread: https://athemes.com/forums/topic/link-employees-and-contributorswriters/#post-442388

Does the same issue apply on Sydney also? And if so the same fix? As I am experiencing this issue again now on Sydney.

Best

Jon

Dear John,

> As you can see it is giving me options to have a separate header for each individual page, which I would like to have. But it is not appearing correctly so far. Could you advise?

I am afraid that isn’t part of Sydney theme’s feature. Maybe it is other theme’s. I noticed that you are running the Toolset Types plugin. A couple of months a go we developed the Sydney Toolbox plugin as a replacement of the Toolset Types plugin.

Please uninstall the Toolset Types plugin and use the Sydney Toolbox instead.

> Does the same issue apply on Sydney also? And if so the same fix?

In Sydney, the link is attached to the employee’s name instead of photo.

To link it to the photo, edit the widgets/fp-employees.php file. Replace this code block:

<div class="avatar">
	<?php the_post_thumbnail('sydney-medium-thumb'); ?>
</div>

with:

<?php if ($link == '') { ?><a href="<?php echo esc_url($link); ?>"><?php } ?>
<div class="avatar">
</div>
<?php if ($link == '') { ?></a><?php } ?>

Regards,
Kharis

Ok thanks Kharis. So it’s either the home page header or no header at all on Sydney theme?

I’ve replaced the code for the employee widget but it doesn’t seem to be working, what can I do?

Best

Jon

Can you also advise me on what size the thumbnails for employees should be?

On your test content the images are 400x400, and I’ve resized some of mine to the same, but they are not showing up properly on the employee widget - test.audiobaymanagement.com - and scroll to Roster.

Can you help?

Many thanks

Jon

Hello there,

I would like to apologize in advance for the delay.

> So it’s either the home page header or no header at all on Sydney theme?

Both front page and other pages have header option. It can be managed through Appearance > Customize > Header area. There is only one header shared to other pages–there is no individual header option. But you still have a chance to achieve your objective. You would use the Unique Headers plugin.

> I’ve replaced the code for the employee widget but it doesn’t seem to be working, what can I do?

It should be done in the parent theme, not child theme.

> Can you also advise me on what size the thumbnails for employees should be?

Please use consistent image size with ratio of 550 x 400 pixel.

Regards,
Kharis

Hi Kharis

Sorry for the delay in response.

Thanks for the above info. All now makes sense, apart from the employee widget code, which I have already changed in the parent theme, not the child theme, but it still doesn’t work.

I’m also having trouble changing the font style and size on the very first slider on my homepage; www.test.audiobaymanagement.com. Changing the settings in the customise section of the theme is making no difference to the header - can you advise?

Many thanks

Jon

Whilst you answer the above, I’d like to add in one more query.

I’m attempting to have numerous testimonials appear in rows throughout the homepage, but I’d like the testimonials to show one at a time rather than in the slider on each appearance. To achieve this I’ve added a new category for each testimonial I’d like to appear, and input the category slug into the slider box on the page builder. However, the name and title of each testimonial is disappearing using this method - can you help them reappear? Again, this problem will be visible on the link above.

Best

Jon

Hello there,

I would like to apologize in advance for the delay.

> apart from the employee widget code, which I have already changed in the parent theme, not the child theme, but it still doesn’t work.

Please try to replace the code I suggested with this:

<?php if ($link != '') { ?><a href="<?php echo esc_url($link); ?>"><?php } ?>
<div class="avatar">
</div>
<?php if ($link != '') { ?></a><?php } ?>

Let me know how it goes. I’ll wait to hear back from you regarding your stats.

Regards,
Kharis

Hi Kharis

Sorry but this second code doesn’t work either. The cursor changes to a hyperlink now but the link doesn’t go anywhere.

Please could you assist with the additional two queries I mentioned above:

>I’m having trouble changing the font style and size on the very first slider on my homepage; http://www.test.audiobaymanagement.com. Changing the settings in the customise section of the theme is making no difference to the header.

>I’m attempting to have numerous testimonials appear in rows throughout the homepage, but I’d like the testimonials to show one at a time rather than in the slider on each appearance. To achieve this I’ve added a new category for each testimonial I’d like to appear, and input the category slug into the slider box on the page builder. However, the name and title of each testimonial is disappearing using this method – can you help them reappear? Again, this problem will be visible on the link above.