Sydney Header gone

Hi,

I updated wordpress to 4.8 and updated my sydney theme via the update it required. My Header slider & menu has totally disappeared :frowning: When I go into the Theme - customize area, in the site preview my header and all the settings are there as they should be but unfortunately not when I view the site. Please help!

address is: http://www.akademie.co.za

I’m having the same issue. Just published a new post tonight, then updated a handful of plugins and added a new drop-down in my header menu. When I went back to the site, my header slider had vanished so my page starts with Latest Posts instead of the usual slider with a call to action button. I double checked Customize > Header area > Header slider, and my images are still there, settings exactly the same as they have been since I started the site over a year ago. The header slider isn’t even showing up in the preview area. What happened, and how do I fix it??

Site: www.onthecobblestoneroad.com
Wordpress version: 4.8
Sydney version: 1.39

Hello @gooeysa and @snoe626,

Please try to temporarily deactivate all your plugins except Sydney Toolbox and Page Builder by SiteOrigin, and see if it helps.

Please remember about importance of regular full site backups (files and database):
https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups

Also you might want to check this tutorial:

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roman,

Thanks for getting back to me. My site has been working for over 2 years now with the same plugins. Nothing has changed except your Sydney update yesterday!

If I deactivate my plugins I am afraid it will completely mess my site up. Do those plugins regain their settings when activated again?

Also, my site has been backed up - not to sure why you are referring those two links to me? They don’t seem to have anything to do with my issue?

I am running a child theme. When I updated Sydney my header slider disappeared do you have a fix?

Thanking you in advance.

Roman,

I just want to let you know I was going to try fix the problem myself this morning - I logged on and the one plugin called “NextGEN Gallery” needed to be updated. That was one of the 3 plugins (NextGen, PageBuilder, Toolset Types) that I updated yesterday when this problem happened.

Well after the NextGen update this morning my header came back :slight_smile:

I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem!

Hello @gooeysa,

I mentioned those links because backup can be useful when something is broken, and staging site can help to test updates before updating main production site.

Thank you for sharing information about updates that helped you to resolve your issue.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Gooeysa, Roman, my problem has also been resolved. NextGEN and one other plugin needed updated, and once I did that, my header slider returned to the site. Whew! I was at a total loss. I do also back up my site, but still, it’s never fun when things suddenly aren’t working like they should.

Since we both had the same plugin, all I can guess is there was some incompatibility until NextGEN caught up to Sydney’s update? Anyway, it’s all good now. Thanks for the feedback!