Rename 'Services' to 'Products' and edit Services permalink pages

Hello,

Thanks for this awesome plugin. I bought the pro-version and am testing it out. Can you please help with these 2 questions (Link to my test website: www.xcltech.com/varmora):

1. I’m developing a website to showcase products and none of the homepage widgets are meant for that. It there a way I can rename/ reuse an existing widget like Products or Projects? If yes, how can I do that? If not, can you suggest an override to the theme?

2. When I’m adding services (currently just dummy product image links on it), it creates permalink pages which contain date of creation, author, permalink, etc. on the page. How can I remove those links/ information or better stop those pages from being created? For example : http://www.xceleratedtech.com/varmora/services/clamp-it-blue/. I do not want these kind of pages as I’ll have dedicated pages created with other info on it.

Hello,

1. I see you’ve successfully added your products to the Services widget. Is that what you wanted? Let me know if I’m missing something.

2. You cannot remove those pages. Services are custom post types so when you add a new one, then a new single post is created for it.

But they shouldn’t bother you, you can link the titles of the services on the home page to whatever pages you want.

Thank you for your prompt reply, Vlad.

1. Yes I added the products as services, but my question was that is it possible to rename ‘services’ category to ‘products’ globally? That way it would also help have ‘products’ in the permalinks of the automatically created posts when adding a service.

2. It is Ok if I cannot remove the automatically created pages. Is there a way to customize the template of those pages created when creating a service? For example, remove the highlighted sections in this view: http://s3.postimg.org/vxtbklrqr/Services_Post_Remove_Sections.png

Thanks!

I was able to takes care of #2 by editing the content-single.php in my child theme. I would appreciate your input on #1.

Hello,
I also bought pro version, have a similar question.
Can you tell me how to change the name Our services to something else (like Products in the case above) ?
Also, can I change the order in wich services and employees appear on the page? At the moment the last I add is always the first and I need it to be other way around (every next employee I add need to be in the end). Is that possible?

@charms81
So from what I understand all that you want now is that you have yoursite.com/products instead of yoursite.com/services ? In that case you need to go to Types > Types and Taxonomies > Find Services and click on Edit > Find the the Slug field and change it to products. Be sure to resave your permalinks if the setting isn’t applied.

@ivanag.92
If you’re refering just to the widget title, you can simply edit that widget and you’ll notice a title field. Enter in that field the title you want and it will be displayed instead of Our Services.
To change the custom post type order you can use this plugin. It’s the easiest way to do it and it will help in the future if you want to change the order again.

Since you both seem interested in products, I just want to let you know that we’re going to have Woocommerce integration tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Thanks Vlad, I just had done that before you replied, but was still not getting any products on the home page (after refreshing the permalinks). Turns out that the fp-services widget had to be changed in the main theme. The override in child didn’t work. So in the main theme fp-services.php, it had to be changed to have ‘post_type’ => ‘products’.

Please let me know if I could do this override in my child theme, because that would be a better solution for upgradability.

What I don’t understand is why you want to change the name of Services in the backend, since changing the slug as I mentioned before is the only thing needed so that your visitors see Products instead of Services. You only need to change the widget if you’re also changing the Services custom post type name to Products.

Anyway, here’s what you need to add to your child theme functions.php file:

//Unregister the services widget and register it from the child theme
function moesia_child_widgets() {
	unregister_widget( 'Moesia_Services' );
	register_widget( 'Moesia_Products' );
}
add_action( 'widgets_init', 'moesia_child_widgets', 99 );
//Load the new widget
require get_stylesheet_directory() . "/widgets/fp-products.php";

After adding that code you need to:

• create a widgets folder in your child theme, copy fp-services.php in it and change its name to fp-products.php;
  • make the change you mentioned with post_type;
  • also in the new fp-products.php see the first two rows for Moesia_Services class and function. Change services to products in both of them.

This should be all, I hope I didn’t miss anything.

Depending on how you work on your child theme, you might wanna do the list first and add the code after so you don’t break your site.

Thank you, it is what I needed

Just changing the slug doesn’t work for me for some reason. The Products widget does not get added (blank) on the front page. Probably the widget is using hard coded value for slug.

The slug comes from Types in the place I told you to change it, nowhere else.

I’m not sure if you managed to do it by using another widget from the child theme, like I described above?

Hello,
I’m using the Sydney theme but tried the answers from the Moesia theme since they seemed to use the same “Types”.

I tried to change the “Services” to “Programs” for my nonprofit and changed the type name plural/singular to Programs/Program under Types > Custom Post Types. I also changed the slug. I reread the instructions in post
#10057 and changed the Name back leaving just the slug. The whole widget seems to have disappeared now. (See http://brotriot.org)

I’m wondering if I orphaned the “Services” posts somehow by changing the names?

Hello,

I have the same problem as you Eric. Did you find a way to change the name of the section without making it disappear ?

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to change the order of the different sections (clients, projects,…) on the page.

Hi guys,
Because it has been a while since this question has been answered I would like to know if there is a different solution to this issue now.

I too want to change the “projects” to some other name, especially on the website. Is there an easy way to do this? Or do I still need to change this in the code of the child theme?

Thanks for your help!
Casper

Hi guys,

I have a related issue and was wondering if the same solution applies here. I will explain what I am trying to achieve, so you can get a better understanding of why I am trying to do this.

I have used a new plugin to showcase some apartments on my website. Please have a look here;
http://www.staging2.bnbbeheerder.nl/ (scroll down to HUURWONINGEN)

Currently this is showing the projects page of Moesia. But I would like to let these pictures link to the single posts of the new plugin. For example: http://www.staging2.bnbbeheerder.nl/huurwoningen/

This plugin uses a post type called “listing”. Is there an easy way I could use the Frontpage widget of Moesia to display these “listing” posttype instead of the “projects”?

Looking forward to hearing from you. I am not affraid to use some code.

Regards,
Casper