Position of menu items and format of posts

Hi again, thanks for all the help so far. I’ve been making good progress with my blog (http://scienceofhappiness.org.uk) and am very happy with how it appears thanks to this great template. I have two small problems that I haven’t been able to figure out. I’m sure there is a very basic explanation, and would be grateful for any help.

1. I’ve added a few new Pages, which reflect correctly on the navigation bar underneath the main welcome photo, but not in the order I want. How can I change the sequence of these pages? For example, I’d like to have the Contact page showing on the far right of the menu, next to the About page, but am unable to move it.

2. How do I change the items that are included on a Post page? I want my posts to appear on single page without the Recent Posts, Recent Comments, Categories etc. showing up. Where do I change that?

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Hey,

1. You just need to drag the items and rearrange them from Appearance > Menus. It’s not specific to the theme.
  2. You mean the sidebar? Appearance > Widgets. Again, nothing specific for this theme:)

Thanks for the super quick reply Vlad. I am learning as fast as I can but am not always clear about where Wordpress ends and the theme begins. Thanks for the clarification! :wink:

For anybody else with the same problem, it isn’t quite as straight forward as just going into Appearance -> Widgets. Although you can remove the widgets there, it won’t make your posts full width and will leave a nasty blank space on the right. To make the post full width you’ll need to go into Editor and find the single_post.php file and then find this line (near the beginning):

<div id=“primary” class=“content-area”>

change it to: <div id=“primary” class=“one-column”>

And also remove the line near the end of the code that reads:

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

Hope that helps someone, I’ve been pulling my hair out about this.

Yeah, for some reason I thought you wanted to replace the widgets, not remove them completely.

What you did there won’t help unless you’re doing it in a child theme. Otherwise you’ll just have to do it again after each update. Also, the one-column class doesn’t exist in the theme. What you want to do is add this in a custom CSS plugin:

.single .content-area {
     width: 100% !important;
}
.single .widget-area {
     display: none;
}

Thanks Vlad, I’ll see if I can figure out how to do what you suggested :wink: