Polylang problems

Hi folks, I’m working with your sydney theme and I love it. Now I wanted to implement a language support (german/english) with polylang. It started of quite successfully. I watched your video how to set it up properly - thanks for that. So all checkboxes for projects, employees etc have been set.

Now 2 problems occured that I can’t handle - maybe you are able to give me some hints what to change.

1. Having plenty of services already installed in german, polylang adds additional pages with a permalink structure with an added “en” (thats the way I configures my permalinks). It worked fine with many pages but suddenly I could not “rename” a permalink from e.g. “…\budget-2” to “…\budget” … it seems this “name” has already been taken by a service. So I was looking for a service that already pointed to “…\budget” but I could not find any to delete this service - in order to be able to rename my proper permaling to this name. So it seems to be hidden somewhere and I can’t get rid of this “hidden” structure. This happened to me 2-3 times … worked fine with most of the other services. What did I do wrong - and more important: how can I free the permalink structure “…\budget” to assign it to the final version that currently persists on “…\budget-2”?

2. Working with project I’m struggeling with keywords. Many keywords are the same in English and German. So all pages are shown twice in the project widget (geman and english). I don’t want to rename a complete language set to stupid keywords as “Studio_Eng” (for the english version) instead of “Studio” which I would use in both versions. It seems both widget language versions access the same projects (with english and german versions) and display both at the same time. How can I overcome this problem?

See here: http://soundpic.tim-o.com/en/ - in the project section

For some reasons not all keywords I added in the english widget of the homepage are shown in the english button panel of the project section - even though it’s a 1:1 copy of the german widget. I only changed the words for “Show all”

Your help is very much appreciated!
Cheers, Timo

Hello Timo,

1. It looks like that’s how it works, you can try to use de/en instead of numbers (so you’ll get something like services/budget-de).

2. You can have several categories with the same name but with different slugs, so you can create, for example, Design category with design-en slug and Design category with design-de slug.

Please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roman, thank you for your reply!
Maybe I did not put the problem in the right words but I will try again:

When you create a new service called “myservice” a new permalink is generated (e.g. “…blahblah\myservice”). The last part of the permalink can be edited to suit SEO or your needs… If I now generate a second service with the same name the new permalink will be “…blahblah\myservice-2”. (This is - as you say - the way it works)
You can normally easy delete the first servicepage and rename the permalink of the second page back to “…blahblah\myservice”. But for some reason this does not work for me in SOME cases. Sydney or WP insists on calling the second service “…blahblah\myservice-2” but I can’t find a file or entry or service that is visible that leads to “…blahblah\myservice”. Since it’s not visible I can’t delete it - meaning I will not be able to rename the second service properly. Apparently the page really existst, since I can type the URL in in the browser and something displays. But why is this service not shown in sydney any more - it just vanished and can’t be accessed. I’m pretty helpless.
Thanks again for your support!
Cheers, Timo

With regards to problem 2:
I have a project with a musician that I want to show. Lets call him Ritchie. And I have a project section (widget) on my homepage that is supposed to display all projects with him. So I create a project called “Ritchie” since this is what I want the project to be called. And I assign the german keywords “Musiker, CD, Vinyl, Studio” to him. I generate an english language page that obviously is called “Ritchie” as well with the keyword “musician, CD, vinyl, studio”. 3 out of 4 keywords are identical. The german project page displays both “Ritchie” pages - the english as well as the german one. I guess because it’s not driven by the language selection but by the slug keywords which appear in both lingual pages and are identical. But you seriously dont wan’t your keyword buttons to look like “Show all = Studio-ENG = Vinyl-ENG = CD-ENG = Musician-ENG” to overcome this problem. Is there a better way to solve it or am I’m doing something completely wrong?
I hope I could explain it a little bit better.
Thanks again!
Timo

Timo,

1. I couldn’t recreate your issue so I suggested that workaround. It looks like this issue requires close inspection, this goes beyond our support policy. As an option, you can contact Codeable for this kind of service, or find a reputable freelancer on Upwork.

2. You can create categories in Projects > Categories section, you can have several categories with the same name but with different slugs. You have to specify category slugs in widget, not category names. As far as I understand, you are trying to use projects archive that shows all projects by default, you might want to create two separate pages with projects widgets that display language-specific projects.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Thanks Roman. I appreciate your help and understand that you can’t step in to deep. It seems like polylang completely screwed my site. I might just start from scratch without polylang since things got a lot worse.
Cheers, Timo

Maybe one last question with regards to the second point:
How can it happen, that two project keywords (that I only use in the service section) are shown in my english page even though I do not have one single project added? The german version properly display only a “Show all” Button but no other keywords.

http://soundpic.tim-o.com/en/home/ (You might check out the "Projects section)

Thanks for your ideas!

Further investigation:
I reinstalled the theme and the polylang plugin - nothing changed.
I deleted all projects in the projects section of sydney
Primary language is german, second is english. The problem only appears in the english language section.

For each new service or testimonial I add in english language the assigned keyword shows up in the keyword section of the projects widget on the homepage. It’s sufficient to have a non existing keyword/slug in the widget to show theses service keywords - Very strange.

Timo

Hello Timo,

I’ve just checked your website once again but I couldn’t see your home page. So it looks like this issue requires close inspection as well, this goes beyond our support policy. As an option, you can contact Codeable for this kind of service, or find a reputable freelancer on Upwork.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roamn,
thanks again for your support! I decided to delete the polylang PlugIn again because it completely screwed my site. No link worked any more and the site showed completely unpredictable behaviour. I had to install a backup of my site. Since it seems Polylang is the only PlugIn that is supported by the Sydney theme I’m a little upset - but I can’t change it. Maybe I’ve got to work with a full copy of the site to support another language :frowning:
Thanks again for your support!
Cheers, Timo

Hello Timo,

Sydney theme should work well with Polylang plugin, as far as I know. I’m not sure why it doesn’t work properly in your case.

You can try to rebuild your website in a staging environment or locally and see if it works as it should (then you will be able to move rebuilt website to production environment). Please remember about importance of regular full site backups (files and database):
https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups

Here are helpful tutorials:

WordPress Multisite is another good option to create multilanguage website (I like it because it’s native WordPress feature), you can check this tutorial:

Kind Regards, Roman.