"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in...." when installing Sydney Pro

I’ve created a website (using Sydney Pro) on my PC using Xampp.

I’ve done everything required to get my site “live” i.e. uploaded all the files; created the appropriate database; changed the “site url” and “home url” as required within the database; edited the wp-config.php file as required; and

I now find that I cannot install the Sydney Pro theme.

When I try to install the theme i get the following error message:

_Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /homepages/10/d409001201/htdocs/harmonytest02/wp-content/themes/sydney-pro-ii/inc/extras.php on line 132

I even gone as far as installing/activating the WordPress Twenty Seventeen theme; deactivating/uninstalling Sydney on my local (Xampp); deactivating ALL Sydney related plugin’s (toolbox; widgets bundle etc) then re-uploading the files etc.

This works - until I try to install Sydney Pro II using the zip file. At which point, the above error appears.

The error even appears when I try to see the “live preview” prior to activation.

It’s driving me insane.

I’m really hoping that someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

J.

Hello there,

I am sorry to hear you’ve been running into trouble. I can’t get the same issue on my site test installation – even with WP_DEBUG mode enabled.

Check your host if it meets the minimum requirements listed in here. If it does, then try installing all recommended plugins under the Apperance > Install Plugins; and see if it helps.

Regards,
Kharis