Page Format Issue

Hello,

I recently purchased Sydney Pro and am in the process of setting up some pages to sell a few products using the WooCommerce plugin.

On the ‘Shop’ page and all of the product pages I am unable to change the page template. In my admin area I can see the different page templates that Sydney Pro provides but when I try to use them they have no effect. All of my ‘shop’ pages remain in the ‘default’ page template.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks for any help!

My website is CompletePatriot.com

Hello @Micah12,

There is only one template for the Shop page, it is archive-product.php. It located in WooCommerce plugin folder. If you want to make any changes, then you have to copy it into woocommerce folder within your theme folder and make changes there.

Please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roman,

Thanks for the fast response!

I have found the archive-product.php and the WooCommerce folder within my theme folder but I am unsure how to copy the first into the second.

Are you able to tell me how to correctly copy that and modify that to make it a front-page template instead of the default template? Really this just means removing the sidebar from the default template.

Thanks for any help!

In addition, I went into the WooCommerce folder within my theme folder, didn’t change anything, and it wouldn’t let me get out of that folder. It kept giving me the following error message:

‘Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘<’ in /home2/patriot/public_html/wp-content/themes/sydney-pro-ii/inc/woocommerce.php on line 103’

So I closed my browser and tried to go back to my website and it is giving me the same error.

It has seemed to lock me out. Do you know how I can get back in to the site?

You can see the error message if you try to access my website, completepatriot.com.

Thanks again for any help.

Okay @Micah12,

1. To fix your site please re-install the theme.

2. To make the Shop page stretched to full width, please do the following:

• copy archive-product.php template from the plugin folder into woocommerce folder within your theme folder;
  • open archive-product.php (the one within theme folder) file with text editor and remove the following part of code that is located almost at the bottom:
<?php
    /**
    * woocommerce_sidebar hook.
    * @hooked woocommerce_get_sidebar - 10
    */
    do_action( 'woocommerce_sidebar' );
?>
  • add the following CSS code.
    You can add CSS code to your site with Simple Custom CSS plugin (just copy CSS code and paste it in Dashboard -> Appearance -> Custom CSS after installing and activating the plugin). Also you can add CSS code directly to style.css file of your child theme.
.archive.woocommerce #primary {
    width: 100% !important;
}

Please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hello Roman,

Thank you so much for that information! That is going to help me out a lot.

I have 1 final question in order to use the information you just gave me.

1. How do I re-install the theme if my website is not allowing me to get into the admin area? For an example, visit CompletePatriot.com to see the error message that I receive when trying to login to the front end or the back end of my site.

Right now it has completely locked me out of any area of the site.

Thank you again for your help!

In this case you have to re-install it manually, by going to public_html/wp-content/themes folder via SFTP or cPanel.

Download the theme once again, delete the theme from previously mentioned folder and copy fresh one instead.

I hope that it will help you :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hello Roman,

Those instructions were just a little over my head so I enlisted some help from Codeable and got it all taken care of.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Roman,

I do have one more question in regards to this topic.

While I have successfully removed the sidebar and made the ‘Shop’ page full width, the ‘Product’ page template still had a sidebar.

By repeating your instructions above I have removed the sidebar from the ‘product’ page template but can you recommend a CSS code to make that product page template full width? Also to make the ‘single product review’ page full width?

Thanks for any help!

Well, I’m not sure what do you mean by “single product review” page, but you can try the following CSS code to make the single product page full width.

.single-product #primary {
    width: 100% !important;
}

Let me know if you need more help :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Roman.

Would there be a way to make the template the ‘front page’ template rather than the full width template? For both the single product page and the shop page?

I don’t think so, the Shop page is using archive-product.php only.

Kind Regards, Roman.

No problem. Thanks for all your help.

You are welcome,

If you have more questions - ask :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hello Roman,

I have the same problem with the shop page using Sydney theme. Thank you for all the explanations. This might be a funny question for you, but could you tell me where do I find archive-product.php.

Custom CSS I already know as I used when I was following some of your explanations about header :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Anja

Hello Anja,

You can find archive-product.php file in wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/templates folder.

By the way, it is better to create your own topic for your question to keep forum in good order.

Kind Regards, Roman.