No longer able to change header image

Hello,
Using the customizer I no longer seem able to change the header image that loads when my site loads. Any help would be appreciated. I have tried things like enabling Crelly Slider or the default slider just to see if I can make anything but the current image load and had no luck there either.

I tried to think of any plugins I may have installed since it last worked. I did finally upgrade my .php on my host from 5.6 to 7.2 recently.

Thanks!

As a workaround I replaced the image source file the site was pointing to with my new image. Seems to be an issue where the link isn’t updating when I change it via the customizer.

Hello,

I couldn’t recreate your issue on my local Moesia Pro install. It can be a JavaScript plugin conflict, so you can try to deactivate all your plugins except aThemes Toolbox and Page Builder by SiteOrigin, and see if it helps.

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Thank you for the reply. I was able to disable all plugins but the two you suggested and change my header via the customizer. It had no effect on what displayed on my site or in the customizer preview.

I am remembering something now… When I upgraded my .php I got two warnings on my home page with errors.

Warning: “continue” targeting switch is equivalent to “break”. Did you mean to use “continue 2”? in /home/region23/public_html/wp-content/plugins/types/vendor/toolset/types/embedded/includes/wpml.php on line 663

Warning: “continue” targeting switch is equivalent to “break”. Did you mean to use “continue 2”? in /home/region23/public_html/wp-content/plugins/types/vendor/toolset/types/embedded/includes/wpml.php on line 646

I replaced continue with continue 2 and the errors went away. Sorry for not remembering this earlier but it seems likely it could be related?

Thank you.

Hello, thank you for pointing that out.

It looks like you are still using Toolset Types plugin, please use aThemes Toolbox instead.

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Thank you for the follow up. Toolset Types may have been active when I upgraded my hosts .php, but it hasn’t been lately and this morning I deleted the plugin entirely. I also verified the directory the error message referenced no longer exists. The issue remains. It’s very odd!

Hello,

You can try to rebuild your website in a staging environment or locally and see if it works as it should (then you will be able to move the rebuilt website to production environment).

Here are the relevant tutorials:


Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support