Mobile - Sliders Missing & Menu Not Showing Categories

Hi - I updated my site today with the Sydney theme and have looked through the forums to find help to my mobile issue but am still perplexed. Since this is not a new site, I looked at plugins that might be causing issues and I deactivated WPTouch Mobile and activated WP Responsive Menu.

The sliders are fine on the desktop but not showing at all in mobile.

The mobile menu would only show pages and not the main menu listed in the desktop which has all the categories underneath. The only way to get the menu to show correctly was to add WP Responsive Menu however now I have the other (bad) menu still showing too.

Any ideas? Right now, mobile shows two menus (one good, one bad) and is not showing the sliders. The site is http://www.philatravelgirl.com

Cheers!
Sue

Hello Sue,

1. Looks like you are using Jetpack Mobile Theme (that’s why slider is not showing). Sydney theme is responsive by default, so you don’t have to use Jetpack Mobile Theme.

2. Default menu should work when you deactivate Jetpack Mobile Theme, but if you still want to use your custom menu, then you can hide default menu button with this bit of CSS code:

.btn-menu {
    display: none !important;
}
  1. Also you might want to change color of site title or header background, because currently site title is not visible on lower resolutions since it’s black, and header background is also black.

You can add CSS code to style.css file of your child theme, also you can use Simple Custom CSS or similar plugin for adding CSS code.

Please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Thank you Roman - this was incredibly helpful! I deactivated the Jetpack and think I have the background font issue fixed - am having friends test their devices, etc. to check.

The only item left is the menus as it seems I can’t add any more categories or pages - is there a limit in Sydney to this? My About Me used to have a Contact Me option under it and now its gone and won’t let me add.

Thanks for the CSS info - I’ve not ventured into anything that complicated (for me) yet.

Cheers!

Hello Sue,

I don’t think that there are any menu limits.

Can you provide more details about the issue that you have with your menu? For example any errors that you might get, and also how exactly you add the sub-item.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi there,

My slider photo is inconsistently showing up on the mobile version:
www.whosbehindthewheel.org

Is this because friends who are testing it might have old browsers? Thanks for any guidance; I love this theme.

Hi Roman,

I’m just adding the page and subcategories in the Main Menu feature. When I add Contact Me under About Me - it doesn’t show up.

When I tried to add a new Page to the Menu after “About Me” called Travel Planning, the menu allows me to add it at the bottom but then deletes the About Me above it.

It seems to be limiting the number of Menu Topics? I can’t find any documentation about this - any ideas? It’s a key issue for me as I need to add a Media Page and a few others to the Top Main Menu

Cheers
Sue

Hello @jbird2016,

Your slider image’s dimensions are 5564×3710 pixels and the size is almost 3MB.

It might be the problem, try to compress it to FullHD and under 1MB.

Kind Regards, Roman.

P. S.
It is better to create your own topic for your question to keep forum in good order (and add links to relevant topics there).

Hello Sue,

It might be a server-side issue.

Please try to set max_input_vars value to 5000.

Here are extensive tutorials (tutorial 1, tutorial 2) on this topic.

I hope that it will help you.

Kind Regards, Roman.