Menu is no longer responsive

My menu used to resize with the size of the screen. On mobile, especially, the menu use to resize into a button you would tap and a drop down menu would appear. However, now the menu stays the same on desktop and on mobile. It’a just a horizontal menu not matter the screen size.

I’ve already disabled all plugins.

Any idea what happened?

Hello @corey,

It looks like you have copied all the styles from parent theme stylesheet to child theme stylesheet. Please make a full site backup and try to leave only changed styles in child theme stylesheet.

You can try to activate parent theme in order to check whether it is a child theme issue or not.

Please remember about importance of regular full site backups (files and database):
https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups

Also you might want to check this tutorial:

Kind Regards, Roman.

Thanks for the response.

Isn’t copying the stylesheet from the parent theme to the child necessary in order for the child theme to have the same layout/design as the parent?

I did copy the parent stylesheet, pasted it in the child stylesheet and then edited the child stylesheet. The site currently represents the changes made to the child stylesheet.

I’m not sure I understand how that differs form what you’re suggesting I do. Could you clarify?

Also, the responsive menu in the parent theme works fine. It’s strange because I don’t recall editing the child theme’s menu at all other than linking the menu items and doing some rearranging in Dashboard>Appearance>Menus.

@corey, no, copying the whole stylesheet is not necessary. I think that it’s one of the key points of child theme, parent styles are inherited automatically.

I’m not sure why exactly it doesn’t work properly on your website, to be honest. However, I do think that removing duplicate CSS rules from child theme stylesheet should help. Especially considering the fact that parent theme work properly and you did not change that functionality in your child theme.

Kind Regards, Roman.

I think I got it working.

I just created a new child theme and formatted the stylesheet correctly (I think) and made adjustments in my custom CSS page on the Appearance>Customize page.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Great! you are welcome @corey :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Roman.