Line height

Could you please help an absolute beginner increase line spacing in blog post.

I’m trying to make a site for senior citizens center, need very large font for regular text entry on posts for readability by seniors. They like Body Font size set to 22. Problem: Lines in posts seem too close together now. I googled to find out that I need to adjust line spacing but don’t have a clue. (I understand concept because I can do it with Word)

Yes, I did install plugin TJ Custom Css as advised by another employee who didn’t really know how to help me more than that.

Everyone will really, really appreciate this help. Thank you in advance.

Too scared to fool around by myself on this.

Hi,

Please post a link to your website, to a page where you want to modify all these, so I can check.

Best Regards,
Csaba

Hello.

thank you so much for your reply.

the website is not live, not ready at all. We are figuring things out still.

We know how to increase font size number. Is there a number somewhere that can be tweaked to increase the space between lines of text in the blog posts and pages? Using the quite large font size of 22 to write paragraphs with, the lines look crunched too much together.

So is there a number somewhere that can be adjusted to increase the vertical space between horizontal lines of body text?

thanks bunches!!

Hi,

You can increase the paragraph or body text line-height with this Custom CSS:

body, p {
    line-height: 40px !important;
}

Please add the above CSS to your Child Theme’s style.css or in case you haven’t setup a Child Theme already, then you can also use this plugin to add the CSS to it: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/ so you will not loose the changes on theme updates.

Please let me know how it works.

Best Regards,
Csaba

Hello

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT. I’m a total newbie, in way over my head but learning just as fast as I can. BTW, I chose this Sydney theme because I found great support and tutorials and it seemed doable even for a newbie. Thanks for helping me get started!

The font size is an admittedly very large 22 when writing paragraphs. We are trying to provide readability for seniors.

Don’t know how to make a child theme so yes, I’ll work with the plugin you suggested.

My question:

If I put in the custom CSS code you gave me to increase the vertical white space between two lines of text in a paragraph in a post or page, is this this change adjustable or even reversible?

Two specific points:

1. You used 40px. If I use your code and see that I need more or less white space, can I make adjustments myself? If I resubmit the custom Css and substitute, for example, 30px or 50px, will the change be reflected upon updating?

2. What if I need to revert to the original way? How would that be accomplished?

I so, so appreciate your help. Thanks!!

Hi,

The Custom CSS is adjustable and reversible, so:

1. You can adjust the value I gave you, so you can easily change it to 30 or 50px ( of you choice, anytime ).

2. If you want to revert ( remove ), then just delete that CSS from the Custom CSS field and it will go be back to default ( like you had before adding the Custom CSS ).

Best Regards,
Csaba

Hello

the plugin you recommended is simple custom css, so I installed it. I backed up my site.

You provided me with custom css to adjust line height. You told me to insert

body, p {
}

The plugin appears with this line:

/* Enter Your Custom CSS Here */ Is your code supposed to completely replace everything there including the forward slashes and the asterisks, or is it supposed to be inserted instead of only the words “Enter your custom css here” ?

In other words, am I supposed to enter

/* body, p {
}
*/

Or erase everything that’s there, and only enter

body, p {
}

Thank you for your help! I know this is a beginner question but don’t want to use your code incorrectly.

Hi,

You can erase everything and insert:

body, p {
}

if you insert:

/* body, p {
}
*/

it will be commented-out, so it won’t take any effect, so in case you want to disable the custom css comment it out with /* …css-here… */.

Best Regards,
Csaba

Mr. Casaba,
It works!! thank you!!

The post EXCERPT now looks a little odd with too much space between lines, but I can deal with that. I just reduced the number of words displaying so the issue is basically avoided.

I think 30 px is going to be the value. I was quite happy to discover that upon applying the custom Css, and then returning to the entry field, to see that the applied code is right there for the easy changing. Yay! Since I’m a complete newbie I was rather panicked thinking I’d have to go searching for the code if I wanted to alter or eliminate it. Changes are super easy!!

Thank you very, very much! Really, thanks!!

Hi,

Great! You’re most welcome! If you need help with anything else, please, feel free to open a new topic.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Csaba

Hi,

I used the CSS included above on my website because lines were to close together only on my header slider… But, if my understanding is correct, the whole theme is affected by that CSS.

Is there a way to affect that CSS only on the slider?

Thank you for your time,
The-Minister