Image not going full width when going to category page

Hi,

We seem to have a problem when a category is clicked from the homepage. The image doesn’t cover the full width when you land on the category page. The images are all 750px wide so they should work. http://laurieannforest.com/ They work on http://tenderfootdesign.com/ and the free alizee demo (we are using pro) and those images are 750px wide.

We love the header and other aspects of this theme but we may not be able to make use of the homepage grid because of the fact that you have to click the post again if you click the category link. Everything on the site should probably be pages in reality except for Journal but we thought it would be cool to try to make use of the grid. The only thing is that on a test bed if I set the homepage to a static page there is no sidebar. Is there a way to chose a static page for the home page and have a sidebar included with it? I can’t seem to make that work with the theme options.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations you can give us in this regard.

Hey,

• your original image size might be 750px, but a cropped version of 440px is being used, mostly for load time reasons. You can either set your categories to have the same layout as the home page from the Customizer or I can show you have to use a different image size if you want. It’s different from the way it’s done in the free version;

• I’m not sure I follow about clicking the post again thing. It’s natural to click on the post again when you’re on the category page because most of the time that page includes more posts.

• you can set your static front page and I’ll give you some code after that to make the sidebar show. It’s just a matter of CSS.

A refund is also an option if Alizee isn’t what you need for your site. Just let me know.

Hi Vlad,

Yes, agree with you on the category thing. It’s a bit unusual to just have one post for a category.

What would I need to do to not have the image cropped to 440px? Is http://tenderfootdesign.com/ using wider images to use a three column layout on the homepage but 750px images with a sidebar when a category is clicked? I hate to use images bigger than I need to and I optimize them before I use them on the web.

If I turned all the posts into pages except Journal (which would be the blog page) and used wanted to use About as the homepage what is the CSS that would be needed to have a sidebar instead of a full width layout without one? I’ve built a few themes, though nothing as complex as Alizee so I have a pretty good understanding of this stuff.

Thanks,
Mike

Send me an admin account please at vlad[at]athemes.com and I’ll do the changes in the morning so I can test and make sure everything is right. Or at least set your front page to static until then.

Hi Vlad,

We may not be switching to a static page. I’ll let you know. Thanks for your help so far.

Mike

Hi Vlad,

We won’t be switching to a static page for the homepage. My client likes the layout of the homepage too much. So the only thing I need is how to deal with the image being cropped to 440px instead of 750px when landing on a category page. http://laurieannforest.com/

Thanks,
Mike

Hi,

Okay, please go to Appearance > Editor, find and open content.php and then you’ll find on the first few lines <?php the_post_thumbnail(‘alizee-thumb-small’); ?>. Replace it with <?php the_post_thumbnail(‘alizee-thumb’); ?>

Hi Vlad,

That worked. Thanks. I’m a little concerned about the code being over-written on a theme update. I had just updated the theme though. Will this be the code that is used in any future theme updates? I don’t really want to create a child theme for this bit of code. I’ve been using a CSS plugin for the small amount of CSS code that I’ve needed to write. I have saved the code.

In any case thank you for all your assistance.

Oh BTW, How do you add the items to the social menu that slides out from the upper left? I didn’t see it in the documentation. If I missed it I apologize.

Mike

Hi Vlad,
I figured out the social links for the slide-out under the header. It looks like it doesn’t appear on smart phones. Is that correct?

Mike

Hi,

That code will most likely go in the next update too, though in a slightly different form probably.
You’re correct about the social menu, it is hidden on small screens.