How to translate "Read more" link in blog?

Hi! we’re using Sydney. Is a beautiful theme for our site. I did translate the theme to Galician language. I made my own gl_ES.po file. But “Read more” is not included in the original .pot file and I don’t know how to translate it. It still appears in the blog page at the bottom of each post excerpt. You can see it here:

http://tecedeiras.gal/?page_id=385

Hello,

I would be glad to help you, but first please let me know which tool you have used for translation.

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

If you use the Loco Translate plugin, you can generate a new .pot file and try to use it instead of the original .pot file in the languages theme folder.

It looks like the Read More string is missing and the .pot file that comes with the Sydney theme should be updated. Thank you for pointing it out, by the way :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Hi:
Thanks for your quick answer.
I’ve got sydney.pot file using ftp from this server folder

/web/wp-content/themes/sydney/languages

I made my .po file using poedit.
And finally I uploaded the gl_ES.po file to the same place where sydney.pot was.

Regards

Sorry, Roman:
I installed Loco Translate and I found “Read more” string in WordPress language file. Galician translation already exists but although the site is in galician language, “Read more” remains untranslated… :frowning:
Thank for your help!

I installed Loco Translate and I found “Read more” string in WordPress language file. Galician translation already exists but although the site is in galician language, “Read more” remains untranslated… :frowning:

Did you create a new .pot file with the Loco Translate plugin instead of using the .pot file from the server folder that you mentioned above?

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Yes but new .pot file didn’t include “Read more” string…
I’ve replaced in the site the old .pot file.

excuse my english… I’ve “restored” the original .pot file…

Hello,

I’ve just checked your website and it looks like this issue is already resolved, isn’t it?

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Hi!
It’s a patch.
I replaced this piece of code
<?php echo esc_html__( 'Read more', 'sydney' ); ?>
in content-modern.php file by a harcoded string… And now it looks like this:
<a class="read-more" href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>">
Seguir lendo
<span class="read-more-gt">&gt;</span>
But is not a good solution because it risks to be undone in the next theme update. Isn’t it?

Hello,

But is not a good solution because it risks to be undone in the next theme update. Isn’t it?

Yes, you are right. It will not survive the theme update. Can you please share the .pot file that you have created with the Loco Translate plugin in order to let me check it?

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Sorry, Eoman I don’t remember how to share a file here…

Hello,

You can use one of the online services, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Hi!
here’s the file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mrxqNMkr1ClDhA5Uw4QjgbyOdHY3VdG-/view?usp=sharing
Regards,

When will this .pot file be updated?
I would like to translate the text:
1: Show all (on portfolie/gallery filter view on home-page)
2: Read more (on blog posts)

How is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Majken

Hello,

You provided a .po file, did you generate the new .pot file?

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Hello Majken,

Did you try what I have suggested above?

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Sorry, Roman, but I don’t know how to obtain another file… And my mistake: when I tell you about operations I did with .pot file there was always this .po file…

Hello,

I don’t know how to obtain another file…

You should see the Create template button after you remove the original .pot file from the sydney/languages folder.

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

As I read this string. There is not yet a clear solution/answer to translating these two things in the theme. The things they have tried to resolve it - did not work for them.
(Text: Show all, Read more)

Can you please explain short and precise how I can do this?

(I am not so keen on deleting files and folders, as development department is not my specialty)
Is it possible to fix this from the Wordpress admin panel instead?

Thanks in advance for your help. (And short and clear answer for this fix)