How to get rid of the space?

Hello,

how can I manage to get the side title more on top of the page?
I already did apply this CSS code as well as editing the top/bottom padding of the row.

.site-description{
margin-top: 0;
}

And it is the same problem with the title after every section for example the Latest News on the Homepage show up way down instead of right after the Categories.

Also there is a lot of space between the Instagram feed and the Recent Posts on the sidebar section.

Can you help me fix that?

Thanks already.

Hello @juulesb,

I will be glad to help you, but can you please provide a link to your website and some explanatory screenshots?

Kind Regards, Roman.

Yes of course, sorry I forgot them!

So my page: http://freebirdnumberone.com

But to be honest I don´t know how to insert a screenshot in here so that you´ll see the actual photo…
I try but if it´s not working you just need to scroll down the page and you will see that the site or section description always is too far down:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-23 um 13.34.53
Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-23 um 13.34.47
Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-23 um 13.34.39

Okay Julia,

First of all, I kindly suggest you to use Front Page template for your home page to make it work as it should. You can select it in Page Attributes section when editing your home page in your Dashboard.

Also I suggest you to use Full width template for pages where you use Page Builder (for example your About page), looks like it works better without sidebar.

You can fix Instagram widget issue with the following CSS code.

You can add CSS code to your site with Simple Custom CSS plugin (just copy CSS code and paste it in Dashboard -> Appearance -> Custom CSS after installing and activating the plugin). Also you can add CSS code directly to style.css file of your child theme.

#sb_instagram {
    height: inherit !important;
}

Please let me know if you need more help.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hey Roman,

okay thanks so much, I am always amazed by those solutions…
The Instagram issue is solved now but I don´t think I did it the right way.

Can you please help me with this child theme thing. I read it a couple of times now and I did download it and tried to upload it but it didn´t work.
I tried: Appearance > themes > add new.

Was that the wrong way?

Also I use TJ CSS is this okay or do I need this Simple Costum CSS plugin?

Thank you alreay,
kind Regards, Julia.

Hello Julia,

Looks like Instagram widget is okay :slight_smile:

If TJ Custom CSS plugin works for you, then everything is good.

To install a child theme, you have to download it here, then go to your Dashboard -> Appearance -> Themes -> Add New -> Upload Theme -> select downloaded theme and upload it.

Please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Dear Roman,

alright, so far I did everything you said. I am a little bit sad without my sidebar but the main problem is that the Social Media Icons still show up in the middle of the page instead of the bottom.
Do you know why? (I did it with the Youtube Tutorial and I think I did all the same stuff and to be honest it did work in the beginning…)

Ok. I got the Child theme uploaded. So now do I have to activate it and copy the CSS changes I made in it, also if I changed other php do I have to copy the changes aswell and does that mean that I can make an update and everything will stay the same?

Next question would be that I wonder why my title on the “impressum” page (which you find when you click on “Impressum” at the very bottom of the page) is not displaying?

And another thing that might be easy to fix: I like the style of the “Contact Me” and “About Me” site description and I wonder how I can apply this font to my Categories. Once you click on one of the categories, the category name is neither centered nor the same font… and if it is possible to make changes here I would rather for example only display “Thoughts” instead of “Category: Thoughts”.

Alright, I hope it is okay to ask so many question at once…
Thank you already and have a good day.
Julia

Okay Julia,

1. Social media bar is above footer because it is one of the page widgets, so it’s affected by all the pagging/margins of content area.

2. Yes, you have to copy CSS changes to child stylesheet and override changed .php files. More information here.

3. I suggest you to apply default page template to your Impressum page.

4. You have to edit archive.php template and override it in child theme to remove Category: part of title. Also there is some CSS styling required to make it look like widget titles.

#1 and #4 require some coding and testing, so this goes beyond our support policy. It’s considered advanced customization.

As an option, you can contact Codeable for this kind of service, or find a freelancer on Upwork.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Okay Roman,

thank you, I got almost everything fixed only two more things.

I activated the child theme but didn´t figure out how to copy e.g. archive.php in there?

And when I had it activated my page wasn´t my page anymore it was a mix of mine and the one from the tutorial, so I undid the activating. Did I do it the wrong way?

I do understand that #4 goes beyond your support policy and that´s fine but just that I got it right: I CAN remove “Category”? Because I couldn´t actually find the word in the archive.php

Thank you again,
Julia

Hello Julia,

1. Just copy archive.php from public_html/wp-content/themes/sydney to the folder of your child theme (but please see #3 first).

2. Parent theme and child theme have separate settings. It means that if you switch to child theme you’ll have default settings and will have to configure theme once again, it’s normal.

3. I like your persistence :slight_smile: You can try this solution.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roman,

ok so I managed to activate the child theme and did the customization again and I think everything looks fine.

Then I copied the CSS from the Custom CSS to the style.css of the child theme.

Unfortunately I don´t know what the public_html/wp-content/themes/sydney means.
Does it mean to simply go to my archive.php, select and copy all the content and paste it into the stylesheet of the cild theme?

In the child theme folder is only the style.css and the function.php. So that means that all the changes I made in xyz.php are going to be copied into the stylesheet of the child theme ecxept for the changes of the funcion.php?

If yes, then I got it! :wink:

(oh, I didn´t apply #3: default page template but “front page” because everything else always made trouble with the sidebar or Social Media Icons or the site description…)

And thank you for the hint I really appreciate that! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
Julia

Hi Julia,

public_html/wp-content/themes/sydney is the path to your theme folder. You can access it via SFTP or cPanel.

No, you should not copy the content of archive.php to the stylesheet of child theme. .php files contain PHP code, .css files contain CSS code, and it shouldn’t be mixed.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Okay Roman,

thanks a lot, now I´ve got clarity.

So, this will be my last question here and is the reason why I started this topic.
There is still a lot of space on my homepage between the “Categories” and the “Latest Posts” and I don´t get it fixed with the top/bottom padding…?

Hello Julia,

This CSS code should help you remove that space:

#pg-498-0 .panel-row-style {
    padding-bottom: 0 !important;
}

Have a nice day! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Roman.

Worked out perfectly!

Thank you for everything Roman.

Have a great day! :slight_smile:

You are welcome Julia!

I’m glad that it works :slight_smile: