How to create a custom header image on blog posts page

Hello!

I’d like to add a custom header image or title to be shown above every blog post on my posts page, but can’t seem to figure out how. I know that WP doesn’t view the posts page as a normal page so any edits I make to the page directly won’t show up. All I want is to give my blog a title image (it doesn’t have to replace the header bar, though it can) that will appear above all of the posts. Is this possible?

(btw, I’m very, very ignorant when it comes to CSS. Just FYI. Thank you for your patience!)

Thank you,
Coryanne
coryannehicks.com/blog

Hello Coryanne,

Please try to do the following.

1. Go to your DashboardAppearanceCustomizeHeader areaHeader type → select Image for Site header type → click Save & Publish.

2. Install and activate Unique Headers plugin, and assign custom headers for your pages and/or posts while editing pages/posts, including your Blog page. You should see new Custom header section on the right side of editing screen after activating the plugin.

Please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roman,

Thank you for the fast response! Unfortunately, I’ve had no luck with the Unique Headers plugin. I followed the steps you laid out, but no dice. I’ve also tried uploading an image directly while under Appearance → Customize → Header area → Header Image, just to see if I could add a header image to site pages (other than the front page) that way, but nothing happened. It’s like my site refuses to have a header on any page but the front one.

I installed Unique Headers twice. Both times I could see a Custom header section while editing a page/post, but when I uploaded an image, it never appeared on the published page/post.

I also tried the WP Header Images plugin to see if it would work, but of course it didn’t. Any other ideas?

Thank you,
Coryanne

Hello Coryanne,

Looks like something went wrong on the first step:

1. Go to your DashboardAppearanceCustomizeHeader areaHeader type → select Image for Site header type → click Save & Publish.

Can you please double-check it very carefully? Especially note this part: “select Image for Site header type”. Make sure that you are selecting Image for Site header type, and not for Front page header type.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roman,

Thank you again for your help. I did as you instructed: 1. Go to your Dashboard → Appearance → Customize → Header area → Header type → select Image for Site header type → click Save & Publish.
(My front page header is currently “Full Screen Slider” while site header type is “Image”)

Then tried to use the Unique Headers plugin but no luck. All I’ve got now is my blog post content overlaying my site tagline & menu… Is it time to throw in the towel?

Thank you,
Coryanne

Hello Coryanne,

Can you please provide a link to your website to let me inspect what you got?

I suppose that it works, because header image in Sydney theme looks like header overlay (it’s not very high, and it’s a little bit darkened).

Kind Regards, Roman.