How does one add footer.php to child theme

So I want to use my child theme and I noticed on a tutorial that the person had footer.php in there child theme options but in mine its only functions and stylesheet How do I add the rest of the php I need to modify stuff in ct? thank you

Hi,

You can create a php file inside your Child Theme’s folder called “footer.php” and you can copy your changes from footer.php ( if you have any ) or you can make the code customisations in this file ( it will override the Parent’s footer.php ).

Best Regards,
Csaba

Yes Thank you but how to create that i want to learn

Hi,

just create a new empty file called footer.php on your computer and upload it to the Child Theme’s folder, or you can upload the footer.php of the parent theme ( if you can’t create a footer.php file ) but make sure to remove the code from inside of it, only add the code you want to modify, so it will override the Parent Theme’s footer.php

Best Regards,
Csaba

thank you very much but since i didnt make the child theme im not sure where to upload the file

I also am confused about this. Could you please provide more detail? How do you upload it?

Hi,

Then first please create a Child Theme, if you want to add the footer.php file to a Child Theme ( as the topic title said ).

Best Regards,
Csaba

Looks like csaba is missing the fact that people don’t know how to add another file to their child theme (example: they used child theme configurator plugin). So in order to create the file, you need to add a line of code in the css sheet in the child theme. This will force the site to look for the file and when it doesn’t find it, it will create it for you.

Simply follow these instructions, I found they were super helpful in achieving what I’ve just described. You will need to change the ‘.header’ to footer though.

I also have Sydney theme, and just FYI the line of code added in the css file made it so that my home page would not load. So I had to open a new internet tab, get back into wordpress dashboard > appearances > editor, and make sure child theme is selected. Then delete that line of code you just added in the css.

After that your site should load fine again. AND you should see the new ‘footer.php’ file in your child theme. At which point you can now edit and customize. :slight_smile:

Hi @KP1,

Yes, in Child Theme Configurator maybe you can do it that way, but without Child Theme configurator you will add a new file in Child Theme by uploading it via FTP Client or via cPanel -> File Manager to wp-content -> themes -> your-child-theme.

Kind Regards,
Csaba