Hide specific blog categories from website's blog page

Hi Athemes team,

I wanted to know if there’s a way to write a code into the child themes so that blog posts which belong to a specific category don’t appear in the blog page of my website. In other words, I want to be able to publish a post that I want to share on my site, but not have listed on my blog page.

I’ve set up a child theme already to customize other elements of this theme, so if you have any suggestions on how to code for this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello,

I want to be able to publish a post that I want to share on my site, but not have listed on my blog page.

You can create a page instead, or it’s not an option for some reason?

Also, you might want to check this link:

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Hi Roman,

Thanks for sharing that resource. I have to admit a bit of ignorance over how creating a page would solve this - unfortunately, the article you shared also doesn’t really explain it. Basically, on my home page, I’ve used a blog widget that allows me to select which blog posts I’d like to feature on my home page by defining a specific category.

Now for my blog page, all I did was define a page as the blog page and then used the Wordpress customize option to choose how I wanted the posts to appear on this page. So on that blog page, it naturally shows all my posts published on my website in chronological order (newest first onwards).

What I’d like to do is be able to publish blog posts that can be indexed and be searchable via Google, but not show up on my blog posts page. I was thinking that if I create a specific category, I could just have blog posts that are in that category not appear on this blog page but still be found via URL.

Does that help clarify what I’m hoping to do? Appreciate your help, Roman. I remember you solved a previously problem I had so I’m hoping you have some ideas for this one too. :slight_smile:

Okay, you can try to use a category archive instead of the blog page.

Please check this topic for more information regarding how to do that:

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Hi Roman,

This looks like it’s to limit posts belonging to a specific category while I want to do the opposite. I want to have a blog page that shows all my posts, except those that belong to a specific category (that I could create and use to filter out posts that I don’t want to be seen on this page). So basically, it’s like my blog page features posts from Category A, B, C, and D. But what I want to do is have it only feature posts that belong to Categories A, B, and D (not C).

I did read that thread and it seems like what it’d allow me to do is simply show posts from Category A, but not B, C, and D. See what I’m getting at? It’s kind of the inverse of that thread. I’m sure it’s a matter of creating some sort of code to “hide” posts from a given category from showing up on this page, but I just don’t know how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

So basically, it’s like my blog page features posts from Category A, B, C, and D. But what I want to do is have it only feature posts that belong to Categories A, B, and D (not C).

You can create Category E (and name it, for example, Blog Posts) that will include posts from Category A, B, and D (not C).

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support

Ah, I get it now. Thanks Roman!

1 Like

You are welcome! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Roman.
aThemes Support