Front page different on Desktop to Laptop

Hi I am creating my front page with Sydney. I get the result that I want when it is displayed on my Surface Pro laptop windows 10 and edge (transparent header and inline menu and slider full screen under the header). Unfortunately when I view the same page on my Desktop Windows 7 on chrome and IE, or my mobile the slider doesn’t go up to the top of the screen and the menu changes to the hamburger.

I show below a screen dump from the desktop machine, from which you will see that the transparent header works, but the slider and menu doesn’t. I also show below a screen with it all working on my laptop.
The CSS code that I have used (which I got from your support forums) is

header#masthead {
background-color: transparent;
}
}
.header-slider {
margin-top: 0 !important;
}
.header-slider {
height: 650px !important;
}

I have also tried changing the header-slider height to be “auto” but that didn’t make any difference. I have cleared cache.

Are you able to point me in the right direction please.
Thanks Collette

Hello there,

Please try to follow the solution I’ve posted in this thread.

Regards,
Kharis

Hi Kharis,
Thank you for your suggestion. I put all the code in from that thread, but the only difference it made was on the header on the mobile using Chrome then worked. It didn’t work on the desktop and it also didn’t work using Samsung Browser 3 on the mobile.

I have taken all the code off again, so I am back where I started.
Have you got any other suggestions?
Many thanks
Collette

Hello there,

Please keep the extra code remains. Share a link to your site here, so I can troubleshoot it.

Regards,
Kharis

Kharis,

OK. I have put all the code back and retested from various setups. Just to confirm below are my test results.

Display set to 1280 - all works fine
Display set to 1024. Works fine on Chrome Desktop (W7)
Display set to 1024. DOESN’T work on IE 11 (W7)
Mobile results - works fine on Chrome on a Samsung
Mobile - DOESN’T work on Samsung Browser 3.

I really appreciate your help on this. My site is in maintenance, as I am just at the beginning of creating my website. If I give you a link you won’t have a login. What is the best way of giving this to you? I could set you up an wpadmin a/c if you wish. Should I just post details here???

Many thanks
Collette

Hello Collette,

You can share the login credentials to my email at kharisblank@gmail.com. Mention the link to this topic in your email body to signal its a followup for my last reply here.

Regards,
Kharis

www.luxi.org.uk it has automatically sent you the username and password

What’s your laptop screen resolution width? You can check it with this tool. That code is aimed for 1024px resolution width. And it looks like your desktop menu is displaying correctly as expected on this resolution width.

Regards,
Kharis

The laptop shows 1536 x 864

Not quite sure what is happening with the desktop resolution then Will look more in the morning, as it is midnight here now. Many thanks for your work.

Best
Collette

OK. I’m back. So the laptop works (different resolution) Desktop I have set as 1024. Chrome interface works (hurray!), but IE V11 definately doesn’t.

I was worried that perhaps I wasn’t clearing the cache in some way. So I changed the background image and the first slider image. Cleared everything in IE (except passwords) that I could find. I even rebooted.

But this is what I get

instead of this version which is from my Chrome window

What am I missing? Am I doing something wrong? Anything else I could try? Did you get it working in IE V11?

Thanks for all your work on this.
Best
Collette