Font Awesome for Services Not Working In Person

Hello Team,
Thank you in advance for your help.
I have never used Perth Pro before, but I was thinking of trying it out for my sister in law’s site www.ektax.com.au - which I’ve only just started to build.
However, I have been following the documentation and none of the font awesome icons are working for services. What to do?
Thank you in advance,
Kind Regards,
Meow

Hello there,

I font all of your icon classes only available in the Font Awesome 5.x. Since the current version of Perth Pro running on your site use 4.3.0, all icons won’t appear. The solution is upgrading the Font Awesome version to load by adding the below snippet to child theme’s functions, or use Code Snippets or Functionality plugin.

function perth_child_loads_font_awesome_script() {
       // Remove Font Awesome from main theme
       wp_dequeue_style( 'perth-font-awesome' );
       // Load latest version of Font Awesome
       wp_enqueue_style( 'perth-font-awesome-cdn', 'https://use.fontawesome.com/releases/v5.6.3/css/all.css' );
    }
    add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'perth_child_loads_font_awesome_script', 999 );

Regards,
Kharis

Hi Kharis,

This seems to be a bug… I dont like any of the proposed solutions. Shouldn’t it just be updated in the theme as an urgent fix? I’m afraid I wont be able to use this theme.

Thanks

Meow

Hello there,

It is not a bug since Font Awesome version is a user’s choice. We offer a simple snippet to disable default one and alter it with certain version.

However, I’ll discuss it with our developer if there’s possibility to use 5.x by default.

Regards,
Kharis

Hi Kharis,

Thank you for your reply.

I guess the reason why it feels more like a bug is because as a user, I do not feel like I “chose” the version as such - I feel as though my theme should work out of the box as per the documentation. Apologies for any inconvenience and thank you so much for discussing with the team.

Kind Regards,
Meow

Hi there,

This is tricky, to be honest. There’s obviously no problem for us to update the Fontawesome version bundled with the theme, it takes maybe 2 minutes. But the thing is that the size difference between the version included and the most current one is pretty large so I am not entirely sure if it’s a good idea to put extra load on existing websites using Perth/Perth Pro. I’m not sure the benefit would be worth it. I guess we need to think for a bit.

Vlad

Hi Vlad,
Thanks so much for your reply.

I do understand, it is tricky. Perhaps it is something that could be put as an option or something in a future update. I’ve actually gone with Airi this time (yes, your users are incredibly fickle - sorry!). Thanks again :slight_smile: