Errors when editing homepage

Hello,

I’m hoping you can help me resolve this issue I’m having with editing my “homepage”. I’ve recently added a few new things to my homepage as well as recently updating a few plugins. Since then I’ve been having the following issues when trying to edit this page;

At first when I tried to edit my homepage, it did not show the pagebuilder so I could not update the page.

I thought it may have been a plugin conflict. So, I deactivated one of the plugins that I recently updated and went back to edit the page and the page builder was there and I was able to update the page.

I decided to deactivate all of the plugins and reactivated all one by one to make sure it was that plugin that was giving me the issue. (As this plugin is super important) However, when I reactivated the plugin I thought was the issue, it was fine and was able to edit the page. When I reactivated the very last plugin, and went to edit the page, I received the http error 500. So, I reached out to the support for the plugin I thought was originally the cause of the error and had recently updated. They took a look at the backend of my site and provided me with the following screenshots and information. (please see attached) I would feel better if you could confirm this may be the issue and the correct coding?

However, before I made the change as they suggested, and this plugin was still deactivated, I went to edit and check something else on this page, then I received another error message; Fatal error: Unknown: Cannot use output buffering in output buffering display handlers in Unknown on line 0

So, I deactivated another random plugin because I’m thinking it might be the memory issue. I was able to edit the page and did not get an error message.

I also reached out to my hosting to make sure it wasn’t something on there end and they said they did not see any errors and could not provide me with further information.

I’m so confused and I’m really hoping you can help me get down to the bottom of why I’m having this issue with this page. I have not made any changes yet to the php file as suggested per the attached because I don’t know much about coding and if and how it would work with the Sydney theme. I’m afraid to mess it up and make it worse. Also, I’m still unsure if it’s a plugin issue because this issue is only affecting my homepage.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Best Regards,
Robbin

Hello Robbin,

First, please remember about importance of regular full site backups (files and database):
https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups

These links might help you:

Kind Regards, Roman.

P. S.
Also you might want to check this tutorial:

Hello,

Thanks for this info! So in other words you have no idea what could be causing the issue? Or are you suggesting it could be any of the above?

Hello Robbin,

I think that it’s memory limit, but I’m not 100% sure. Backup and staging links that I mentioned above are not directly related to your issue, but full site backup and a staging site can be very helpful if something goes wrong in troubleshooting process. Three other links are related to memory limit issue, did you try to increase the limit?

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roman,

Thanks and yes I do backup my site and I am definitely going to create a staging site. And… no I have not increased the memory limit because I’m unsure of where I should do this and afraid I’ll do something wrong. As I’ve been trouble shooting, some say the coding to increase the memory should be in the themes “functions.php” using the following code;
@ini_set( ‘upload_max_size’ , ‘128M’ );
@ini_set( ‘post_max_size’, ‘128M’);
@ini_set( ‘max_execution_time’, ‘300’ )

And others say it should be done in the “wp-config.php”.
ini_set(‘upload_max_filesize’, ‘256M’);
ini_set(‘post_max_size’, ‘256M’);
ini_set(‘file_uploads’, ‘On’);
ini_set(‘max_execution_time’, ‘300’);

Being that I don’t know coding I’m trying to figure out where this memory increase should be done and if either of them are the correct coding.

Any assistance you can provide in the correct coding noted above would be appreciated.

Best!
Robbin

Hello Robbin,

In this case I would contact your hosting provider because PHP memory limit is actually a hosting issue.

Kind Regards, Roman.