Editing Sydney child theme and html

So im a complete noob to html wordpress css and the child theme but im getting a better idea on how things work with tuts the forum and everything. Even through im not in position yet to be a perfectionist about these things id like to have an idea or the tools to find out how to do things correctly. I see the way i put most code actually does matter for google and stuff and since im trying to get into schema.org code too I need to know what Im doing wrong. Im editing most of the code just for optimization reasons since I dont have any layout on my theme yet. I add plugins to help me to the work but I want to know is there any junk I can get rid of in terms of code? How do I find out? AND FINALLY about the theme. So I place all my footer header and .php things in my child theme stylesheet I dont use the theme functions space at all. So what I literally do is copy my sydney parent code to the child theme style sheet and just divide them. Is this wrong? How can I work that out? Thank you for reading.

Hello there,

Thank you for getting in touch here

> … I want to know is there any junk I can get rid of in terms of code?

I believe there is no junk code in our theme. It is carefully crafted based on WordPress coding standard, otherwise it won’t be live in the official WordPress.org themes directory.

Or do you have your own criterion of the “junk”? If so, please let us know. Maybe this is something we can improve in the future.

> … I literally do is copy my sydney parent code to the child theme style sheet and just divide them. Is this wrong?

You don’t need to copy the parent theme’s style sheet to the child theme’s. Because it is already printed in front end. Use the child theme’s style.css for adding new style rules and override the parent’s.

Regards,
Kharis

I understand better now thank you but even through I dont need too id like to add the parent theme templates to child just to feel everythings more ordered. How would I do that? Thank you

Hello there,

Apologies for the delay. Not all of the parent theme’s template files can be overridden in the child theme. It is limited only for those which is part of the native WordPress template hierarchy like header.php, page.php, archive.php, etc. You can copy those files into the child theme folder.

For more comprehensive information about child theming, please visit these links:

Regards,
Kharis

Oh ok thank you. which of the two folders? Also one more thing. How can edit the htlm source code like seen in
https://developers.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/
and not in the templates. Thank you !

> which of the two folders?

I’m not sure. Could you please elaborate it?

> How can edit the htlm source no in the templates

I’m afraid that it’s not an easy task doing so. You must touch the template files still.

Regards,
Kharis

alright yeah well theres only two templates in child theme stylesheet and functions.php also the reason im trying to use the source code is to edit my schema markup I placed most my social media but id like to add another link and its not possible in the yoast plugin I used for the other sites.

Hello there,

i’m trying to to move my logo on the right and menu on the left side. somebody told me to edit header.php in the sydney child theme but i can’t locate the file, is there a way to find it?

Thank you

Hello @andreyqc,

Please check this topic which discusses about structured data editing. I hope you can find it helpful.

Regards,
Kharis

Hi @kamens, thank you asking. I’d be glad to help. But, could you please open your own topic here, so I can separately provide you with the solution in relevant topic? Besides, doing so will help us to maintain this support forum well archived.

Regards,
Kharis