Customisations in child theme not displaying on site

Hi there,

I just installed Sydney on a client website and have been trying to customise it to add 2 additional slides and change the text on the CTA for each.

I achieved the latter with these instructions: https://athemes.com/forums/topic/multiple-calls-to-action/#post-285715I (editing functions.php in the child theme and adding a js folder containing a child-customizer.js file) - works fine, but am including here in case of any conflict with following changes.

For the extra slides I have created amended child theme copies of:

slider.php
customizer.php

as per instructions in https://athemes.com/forums/topic/adding-more-slides-in-header/. I assumed this was to be done in the child theme, and I created an ‘inc’ folder in my child theme and put the amended copies in there. But the changes aren’t getting picked up - so did I assume wrong? Or is there an additional step to ensure the slider.php & customizer.php in the child theme are used rather than those in the parent theme? Aside from the additional code for the two slides I tried changing the text in the standard code of ‘maximum of 5 slides’ to ‘maximum of 7 slides’ to see if that change would be picked up - it wasn’t, leading me to believe the file isn’t being accessed at all, rather than a problem with the code I added.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Tracy

Dear Tracy,

Those two files can’t be overrode from the child theme because they are called by using get_template_directory function in functions.php file. Edit this file in the parent theme, replace the following lines:

require get_template_directory() . '/inc/customizer.php';
require get_template_directory() . '/inc/slider.php';

with:

require get_stylesheet_directory() . '/inc/customizer.php';
require get_stylesheet_directory() . '/inc/slider.php';

Refs:

Regards,
Kharis

Thanks Kharis! To clarify tho’, does this mean that every time there was a Sydney theme update, those changes would have to be redone by my client?

Tracy

Dear Tracy,

Yes, you must edit the functions.php file again.

Regards,
Kharis

Ah, that’s a shame - can’t use a theme for a client where they’d have to keep making coding changes upon update. Thanks very much anyway!

Tracy

Dear Tracy,

Unfortunately there is no other way than that at the moment. Let me forward it to our developer. Maybe there is something we can improve in the next version update.

Regards,
Kharis

Thanks Kharis, that would be great!

Best,
Tracy

You’re always welcome here.

I am marking this thread as resolved. Please let us know in a new topic if you have any further questions, or if we can provide you with any other assistance.

Regards,
Kharis

Hi there, have you got any decision on this issue?

Hello Evgen,

So sorry for the delay.

Please start your own topic here and explain in details the trouble you are experiencing. We would be glad to assist you from there.

Regards,
Kharis