Copyright Info

Hello guys, I’m a bit new to wordpress.

I already searched for the answer here, but for me it wasn’t clear, so:

Am I able to override the “Theme: Sydney by aThemes” info with my own Copyright? I know that I can change it, but is it allowed in the free version?

For me it’s clear that you guys wanna be named after you made such a great theme. I really love using Sydney with my own little changes and I will rate the theme defenietly with 5 stars.

Kind regards,

Hi,

Sydney, like all our themes and like all the themes you can find on wordpress.org, is licensed under GPL. You are free to change any part of the code you want. Welcome to WordPress :slight_smile:

What are the steps to change it?

@Vlad: Oh, that’s great! I really need more time spend on understanding the licenses and other stuff like this. But hey, everyone was a newbie first. Thank you for your quick answer. I’ll name the theme in the imprint I guess.

@Javiervw:
It would be nice to know how good you’re in editing wordpress. First, you should create a child theme (https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes). This is useful when Wordpress or the theme does an update, that your changes might be still there and not overwritten.
Then copy the footer.php in the child theme folder (or just editing it in your sydney folder). There should be something like this:

<footer id="colophon" class="site-footer" role="contentinfo">
		<div class="site-info container">
			<?php printf( __( 'Theme: %2$s by %1$s.', 'sydney' ), 'aThemes', '<a href="https://athemes.com/theme/sydney" rel="designer">Sydney</a>' );?>
		</div><!-- .site-info -->
	</footer><!-- #colophon -->

You can edit the php code by deleting it and write your own text in a p-tag.
Some more help:

If you want your whole footer with the WordPress and theme info to be not shown, get this code in your style.css:

.site-footer {
display: none;
}

Thanks this is very useful. I am learning as I ago. And edition on GoDaddy server.
Now I’m trying to find out how to create the directory. The instruction says create a child them directory, but how to do this. How do I add one?

For creating a child theme you need access to the FTP server where your files are.