Columns do not stack in smaller screen size

When I create a static page with several columns on a full-size screen, the columns do no stack when I view the page in a mobile device screen. The columns are simply squashed. What am I doing wrong?

Hello there,

Please share the page URL in question, so I can take a closer look.

Regards,
Kharis

The site hasn’t been published yet. I am working on it locally. Perhaps this description of my problem will provide you with the info you need:

On the static front page, I inserted a row, divided into three columns. (I have PageBuilder activated, of course.) In each column I inserted a text widget. I added a title and content to the text widget and saved the page. The page looked great on a full screen. But when I reduced the screen to see what it would look like on a mobile device, the three columns did not stack; they squashed together. Is there some step in this process that I have missed?

I have created custom websites with the Foundation framework, and they have always been perfectly responsive. This is my first time using a WP theme, and I can’t understand what I have done wrong. I followed the aTheme tutorial carefully, but the responsiveness does not work. Is the free version of Sydney not fully responsive?

Oh, and I also used the Services widget, which worked fine, so I am really confused.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Hello there,

Are you getting something like this?

Cloudup

Our themes are responsive. You can check it with the Google’s responsive checker tool.

Regards,
Kharis

No, I don’t get the stacked columns. That is what I want. That is not what I get. What I get is all three columns squashed together, not stacked as in the example you show. In the smaller screen size, the layout remains with three columns side by side. Obviously, they should stack, as your demo shows. I don’t get that and I can’t figure out why.

I guess this might be a page specific problem due to special composition. To verify it, please create a new blank page and then create columns.

Regards,
Kharis

Thanks for your help. Your suggestion allowed me to figure out the problem. Apparently, you cannot stack widgets within a row column. You lose the row’s responsiveness when you do that. Each row can have no more than one widget per column in order to remain responsive. Perhaps you might suggest that your tutorials make this clear. At any rate, I guess I was expecting a WP theme to be as customizable and flexible as the Foundation framework. I hate to say it, but if you want a truly customized website you need to stick to hand coding!

Kharis,
You should know that the lack of responsiveness also occurs when you try to use the CSS option in the attribute section of a text widget. Apparently, really customizing the Sydney WP theme is not truly possible.
S

Hello there,

Please take a screenshot of the problem and upload to cloudup.com and share its link here. This will help me easier identify the problem.

Regards,
Kharis