Childs theme as a best practice?

Hi, perhaps a silly question, but do you recommend to always start any new site using a child theme in order to avoid conflicts on updates? Any know issue or anything to know if I do implement a child theme (I’m experienced with child themes) with any of the Atheme’s themes? Right now I’m starting a site using Moesia Pro.

Thanks in advance,

Sandro.

Dear Sandro,

Thank you for getting in touch.

> … but do you recommend to always start any new site using a child theme in order to avoid conflicts on updates?

We don’t always recommend it. Unless you would like to do some additions/modifications to the default feature which neither can be done via Cuszomizer panel nor plugins. So should do hard-code modification; editing the core theme’s files directly. But it’s not a good approach as the theme’s will be updated in the future. Imagine if you have tons of modifications. All the files will be overwritten. The WordPress child theme system comes to tackle this problem.

Read this blog post for your reference.

Regards,
Kharis

Ok, I think in this first case everything is doable without touching the theme’s files so I’ll start normally and if I need to touch anything will switch to that model in that case. And there is another derived question: If I do all the customizations to the actual theme from the backend interface and later on I decide to switch and start a child theme, how do I “move” all those settings to the new child theme? Any solution would work for me, even manually changing saved options in the db, but to start over the whole customization is almost impossible to achieve.

Thanks Kharis!

Hello there,

> If I do all the customizations to the actual theme from the backend interface and later on I decide to switch and start a child theme, how do I “move” all those settings to the new child theme?

Those settings will be synced automatically. No extra configurations needed.

Regards,
Kharis

Cool, never did that before, so that’s great news Kharis, thanks! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome!

Please let us know in a new topic if you have any further questions, or if we can provide you with any other assistance.

I am happy to have an opportunity to assist you.

Regards,
Kharis

There is a way for me to mark this issue as “resolved” or do you have to do that?

Kharys, just to let you know, I’ve decided to start from scratch with a child theme and it doesn’t preserve any of the configurations set to the parent theme as I supposed.

I’ve to start from zero. Is not a big deal because I did just a couple of customizations to check it out, but nothing of that is applied to the child theme as I supposed.

Hello there,

Could you please give me a temporary access to your site admin area so we can have a closer look?

Please send the login credentials to my email kharisblank at gmail dotcom with the link to this thread.

Regards,
Kharis

Already sent Kharis, mi email is sandro.franchi at gmail if you need to reach me. Thanks! The original theme is almost reset now because I’m playing with it.

Hello there,

I’ve checked your site admin area. Your child theme is already working.

> … but nothing of that is applied to the child theme as I supposed.

Regarding your customization in the functions.php file, it depends on how those codes are actually working.

If you found nothing works with your code addition like // Set the default JPG compression to 100%, I’d suggest you to ask for help at WordPress.org community support forum as it’s beyond the theme’s support service we can provide.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Kharis

?
Thanks Kharis, I know everything is working fine with the child theme :slight_smile: It is working from the minute zero, but you obviously didn’t understood my original question. I’ve not problems at all with my child theme. and my customization of the functions.php works as usual in many of my sites, nothing there to look at.

What I have asked originally is if I do some customization in the parent theme (i.e. I add some header image) if will be “replicated” or “cascaded” to the child theme (which I supposed will not happen). That’s “not working” and is ok because I’m almost 100% sure that those customizations are options associated to the current theme so will not be visible by its “descendants”.

Where I said “nothing working”? I said “it doesn’t preserve any of the configurations set to the parent theme as I supposed” and that’s ok, is how themes and sub-themes works, just tried to verify it with you.

Please close the issue because you just didn’t understood my question (perhaps because of my non native english) and everything works perfectly as advertised, your theme and my child theme.