Child theme tut and possible loss

How does one make a child theme in sydney? I read the wordpress.org child theme thing but id like an easier approach since im still not sure what im messing with. and the other thing. since I didnt do the child theme yet will I lose all my creations in the updates?

Hello there,

We have a child theme ready to use. You can download it here.

The creations have done in the Sydney theme’s files will be overridden once the theme gets updated. The creations have done through the WordPress dashboard (except Appearance > Editor > Edit Sydney theme’s files) will remain.

Regards,
Kharis

Thank you! I see I have 2 themes now child and parent. Should I replace using parent completely and stick with child? Should I reset The parent theme?

All modifications should be done in the child theme. I thought you don’t have to reset your parent theme. It will automatically be reset once the theme gets updated in the future.

Regards,
Kharis

Thank you but I dont get how it works so I should activate child version and do everything there and ignore the other one? So all thw things dont in parent are worthless now?

Or what is the way to use child theme compared to parent??

Hello there,

> … should activate child version and do everything there and ignore the other one?

Yes, you should activate the child theme

> … So all thw things dont in parent are worthless now?

It is still working until you update the theme.

> what is the way to use child theme compared to parent??

Please refer here:

Regards,
Kharis