Child theme doesn't update site

http://the10lawsofcreation.com

I created a child theme for this simple site I’m building, so I expected code I put into my styles.css would work, however, some code appears not to work. Specifically I want to do two things:

[1] CHANGE APPEARANCE OF LINKS
Because I have Easy Google Fonts installed, I can use the Customize > Typography link to change the appearance of my fonts, but there’s no way there to change the look of links. Accordingly, I put the following code into styles.css:

a:link {
color: #001151;
text-decoration: underline;
}
a:visited {
color:#001151;
}
a:hover {
color:red;
text-decoration:underline;
}
a:active {
color:#001151;

(I duplicated colours in different pseudo classes in an attempt to force the style I want).

Strangely, some but not all of this works: although I tried to put an underline beneath links, it doesn’t appear, whereas the underline and colour change does work when I hover. Why would that be? And how do I get the CSS to in my child theme to work?

[2] HIDE THE META INFORMATION AT THE TOP OF POSTS
I have Easy Digital Downloads installed and, when I make a page for selling a download, it displays the meta information for the page, which WP is counting as a form of post. I therefore put the following code in my child theme’s styles.css:

#entry-meta {
display:none;
}

I also tried .entry-meta in case I was misunderstanding the hierarchy of the page structure. Neither works. I already looked at the page using Firebug, which is how I identified the element I want to hide as “entry-meta”. Have I got this wrong?

Both problems seem to come down to my lack of understanding as to how to overrule the theme’s stylesheet, although I have found this method works with other themes I am more familiar with.

I would be very grateful for any light you can shed on this.

Thanks in advance.

Will

Strange! just after posting this (having been wrestling with this for a few days) the styling on my links now seems to work as expected! That’s great. However, I still need help with hiding the meta information…

Phew! Found it! I can hde this information with:

.entry-header {
display:none;
}

I need bother you no more…

Best wishes,

Will