Child Theme and premium upgrade

Hello!

I am very new to this website stuff, but yesterday I build my website using Sydney theme and followed a Youtube video to make it. I was no aware of the benefits of using a child theme and just edited the parent theme.

Can I upload a child theme now or is it too late? Would I have to build everything from scratch again?

Also, if I am using the free theme and wanted to upgrade to the Sydney Pro in the future, could I do this seamlessly? Or again, would I have to rebuild things? I’m not sure I have the knowledge or understanding to even get the benefits from the pro version but I am planning ahead.

website is www.newgrowthplanning.com

Thanks for your help!

Hello there,

Thank you for getting in touch.

> Can I upload a child theme now or is it too late? Would I have to build everything from scratch again?

I thought you would never be too late. You don’t have to recreate everything from scratch. Your settings have been done in the customizer should remain.

> … if I am using the free theme and wanted to upgrade to the Sydney Pro in the future, could I do this seamlessly?

Yes, you could do this seamlessly. What you should need to do is just following this guidance.

Warmest regards,
Kharis

Thanks for the reply. SO just to confirm, can I just upload the new child theme and then start editing the child theme going forward?

thanks!

Hello there,

Yes, you can upload and activate your child theme.

Regards,
Kharis

I have downloaded the child theme and have started to edit it (as some of the photos, customization etc. from the parent theme were not present on the new child theme).

Since the parent theme has been partially edited from its ‘new’ state, do I need to try and delete and re-install the parent theme or can I just ignore it and continue editing the child theme?

I want to make sure that if I need to update the parent theme in the future, it will not affect my child theme going forward.

Thanks a ton!

Hello there,

> … from the parent theme were not present on the new child theme).

It depends on what files you’ve edited. Some files can’t be overwritten in the child theme’s.

> … do I need to try and delete and re-install the parent theme or can I just ignore it and continue editing the child theme?

To make you easier doing child theming, I’d suggest you to install the parent theme in a plain state (no modifications).

> … if I need to update the parent theme in the future, it will not affect my child theme going forward

It will not affect your child theme. Modifications have done in the child theme are preserved.

Warmest regards,
Kharis