Centering or Adjusting Images

Hi,

Can you tell me if there is a way to adjust the featured image so that it shows, on the homepage, the exact part of the image that you want to show? Are there certain measurements for a picture that will guarantee that it shows correctly (perfectly centered).

For example, on my homepage here, I would like to adjust the featured pic to see more of the man’s face. Is there a certain measurement that pictures must be in order for them show the part of the image that you want?

On the demo page all of the images fix the “box” perfectly, but those images are not on the post’s page. Were those customized to fit? I’d like my images to fix like yours do.

I’m sorry. That link above goes to the post and not homepage. On the homepage you can see what I mean about showing more of his face. The homepage is here.

Hi,

I checked the home page and saw what you are talking about.

Actually the theme resizes the image using hardcropping and in the home page it uses the width 640px and height 250px, whereas the original size of the image is 389px width to 581px height and hence in the home page it is 389px width to 250px height

To view the full image in home page upload images with the ratio 640:250 (height : width) for example like 1280px X 500px

Else in your Child theme’s functions.php file redefine the athemes_setup function where edit the following

add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );
 add_image_size( 'thumb-small', 50, 50, false );
 add_image_size( 'thumb-medium', 300, 135, false );
 add_image_size( 'thumb-featured', 640, 250, false );

and after that regenrate the images using the Regenrate Thumbnails plugin to see the effect for all the existing images.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Thank you, Matty. I appreciate your help. I’m still new to customizing WordPress. I think I will have to create a Child theme to do what you suggested.

When I create the Child theme, will it have a “functions.php file” to where I can add the code that you provided? And are you suggesting that I create a Child theme so that I don’t alter the original code?

Hi,

Yes you are absolutely correct. You will have to have a functions.php file in your child theme to override the theme function.

Thanks

Hi,

I’ve tried all day and wasn’t able to create a child theme (that worked). I’ll probably have to just create images with the 640:250 ratio that you suggested.

Can you please give me some more tips on creating images to fit the window on the homepage? I tried to crop the images in WP but they still did not align right.

You can look into WordPress.org for more details on child theme and also I have blogged about it some time back. See if this helps. Link

After doing it add an empty file and name it functions.php and then override the function and you will be done.

Another way is to get images in the ratio 640: 250 and should be greater than and equal to 640px by 250 px

Thanks

Hi Matty,

I’m having the same problem over at charlottexoxo.com

I have created the child, style.css and function.php but it still does not work. Whenever I activate the child on my themes, I lose all of the formatting on the page. Please help?

Hi charlottexoxo

Can you please start a new thread? beacuse however same the issue may look like, most of the time it is different.

Please start a new thread with all the explaination

Thanks