Can you help design my blog to look like Perth offcial page?

Hello Kharis, trust you are doing good today?

I am Sam Adeyinka, a digital marketing strategist but non-savvy as regards coding, why I love and use wordpress.

So I changed my template from a StudioPress $100 to Perth’s free version template, which I will soon be moving to the Pro version cus for the first time in years, I found a template I love and that looks like it is designed by a professional html coder.

MY BIGGEST PROBLEM

• I can’t have an autoplay video in place of the man in suit at the front page, can I?

• I need to get rid of the preloader. It’s very annoying.

• The project links can they be open in a new tab?

• how do I add the first service page before the other “More service”, which I also don’t seem to have a hang of.

• The About US area, is it possible to make it clickable?

• How about the See all works? Do I add the images via featured image?

• Our Team, definitely is a featured image, is it not?

• how do I the testimonials slider?

• The image size for the our blog area should be what size? Mine isn’t opening well.

• how do I add my clients or partner images?

• Finally. How do I make my footer page look like the Official Perth’s page? Mine isn’t looking to well.

I sent this email to your mail bro…check it and you will find a temporary login details I created for you. Thanks and my site is http://incomesplash.com

Thanks again bro.
Sam

who is here to help?

Hello Sam,

Thank you for posting in. I would like to apologize in advance for the delayed reply.

That is a quite long question. Let’s address them one by one:

> I can’t have an autoplay video in place of the man in suit at the front page, can I?

Apologies, it isn’t supported by the theme’s core at the moment.

> I need to get rid of the preloader. It’s very annoying.

Try to pply the following CSS code through the Simple Custom CSS plugin or child theme’s style.css.

.preloader{
  display: none;
  visibility: hidden;
}

> The project links can they be open in a new tab?

Yes, they can. Please refer here. Similar question had been resolved there.

> how do I add the first service page before the other “More service”, which I also don’t seem to have a hang of.

We can have different service item group because they lay under the different categories. Firstly you should need make at least two categories e.g. “Type A” and “Type B”. From your dashboard, go to Services > Categories. If you can’t access the “Services” menu, you would need to do this.

Edit your services, then specify their category in the “Categories” taxonomy box.

If the “Categories” taxonomy box isn’t visible by default, go to Types > Post Types > Services. In the “Taxonomies to be used with Services” meta box, give check on “Categories”. Click “Save Post Type” button.

Now you can add a new service section on your homepage. Edit your homepage, create a new row, insert a “Perth FP: Services Type A”. In the field that says “Enter the slug for your category or leave empty to show all services.” enter the category slug that you wish. Drag-drop the row to move its order.

> The About US area, is it possible to make it clickable?

Apologies, such that objective isn’t supported by theme’s core at the moment.

> How about the See all works? Do I add the images via featured image?

Yes, it requires a featured image be set. Otherwise, it won’t be displayed.

> Our Team, definitely is a featured image, is it not?

Yes, the photos are taken from the featured images.

> how do I the testimonials slider?

It is built by using the “Perth FP: Testimonials”. The testimonial items are taken from the testimonials post type (Dashboard > Testimonials)

> The image size for the our blog area should be what size? Mine isn’t opening well.

Its image size is defined in this line add_image_size('perth-medium-thumb', 410); in the functions.php file. It means 410px of width with unlimited height will be applied. I would suggest you to use the similar image dimensions, wider than 410px or equals.

> how do I add my clients or partner images?

From your dashboard > Clients > Add New > enter title, link (if any), and set a featured image.

> How do I make my footer page look like the Official Perth’s page? Mine isn’t looking to well.

1. You should need to enable two widgets area in the footer. Go to Apperance > Customize > Footer > select “Two” > Save & Publish.
  2. Go to Appearance > Widgets > drag your widgets into “Footer 1” and “Footer 2” areas.

I hope this reply helps.

Regards,
Kharis

Thanks Kharis for the in-depth responses to my queries, some of them where helpful while others are still very hard to figure out.

Autoplay - solved

I tried this code:

/* .preloader{
display: none;
visibility: hidden;
} */

Moreso, I realize I have the “Edit CSS” option on my dashboard before installing the simple custom css, do I uninstall that or what?

For Image size - I don’t seem to get your reply. This is:

Its image size is defined in this line add_image_size(‘perth-medium-thumb’, 410); in the functions.php file. It means 410px of width with unlimited height will be applied. I would suggest you to use the similar image dimensions, wider than 410px or equals.

Pls explain better.

I have not try others but I believe I got them covered. Thanks< I will anticipate your next reply.

Hello there,

> Moreso, I realize I have the “Edit CSS” option on my dashboard before installing the simple custom css, do I uninstall that or what?

It isn’t recommended to use edit CSS, unless it is the child theme’s. Using the custom CSS plugin will be safer.

> For Image size – I don’t seem to get your reply.

Your image will be down sized to 410px width (if it is bigger than 410px). Its height will be automatically adjusted, no exact height be applied. To make all the images height become horizontally equals in a row, all posts’ featured images should have similar size. For instance:

• Image 1 for post A: 900px x 500px
  • Image 2 for post B: 900px x 500px
  • Image 3 for post C: 900px x 500px

Or it can have similar aspect ratio.

I hope I’ve explained myself well.

Regards,
Kharis

Okay I get that but the Preloader is still there even after using the code. What to do?

Hello there,

Could you try to apply the following CSS code?

.preloader{
  opacity: 0 !important;
}

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Kharis

Okay thanks, let me quickly try this one out

It still loads…bro, I created an access for you to my dashboard. Pls help me just fix this bug. I am not familiar with all this code. Plus I wanted to ask; Does Perth has a child theme? If yes, how do I install it?

Also, at the footer area, how do I add my blog logo instead if the text it is currently showing?

Hello there,

> It still loads

Where did you insert that code into? Could you confirm if your custom CSS code are error free? You would validate it here https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#validate_by_input

> Does Perth has a child theme? If yes, how do I install it?

Apologies, we don’t have it yet. Please follow the links below, these will tell you how to make your own:

It can be installed through your site dashboard (Appearance > Themes > Add New > Upload Theme)

> Footer logo

Try to apply the following CSS code:

.footer-branding h1 a{
  display: inline-block;
  max-width: 100%;
  background: url('http://incomesplash.com/path/to/your/image.png') top center no-repeat;
  background-size: contain;
}

You would need to upload your image logo through Dashboard > Media > Add New.

Regards,
Kharis

Dude, i told you I am not a code person…I’d appreciate if as part of your support, you can help me set these things up. I created a temporary login for you already.

Thanks

Also the footer, the codes are wrong and not working well for my website. If you really want to help pls let me know.

For child theme, how bout if I already installed a Genesis child theme? Won’t that work?

Hello there,

> you can help me set these things up. I created a temporary login for you already.

Apologies, our support service is limited for direct theme/child theme setup.

> Also the footer, the codes are wrong and not working well for my website

Could you confirm if you have supplied the image background by replacing http://incomesplash.com/path/to/your/image.png?

> For child theme, how bout if I already installed a Genesis child theme? Won’t that work?

I am afraid the Genesis child theme won’t work. I suggest you to create your own instead. Please follow the following resources:

Regards,
Kharis

Okay thanks, so it means you can help me then. See, the way my site is, very clustered. How do I show excerpt of my service and not all of them? Plus how do I show some on the more service down there?

Hello there,

> How do I show excerpt of my service and not all of them

Supply short text in the editor box. For the details you can post it in a separate page. Then link it from the “Service link” field.

> how do I show some on the more service down there?

Edit the “Perth FP: Services Type A” widget. Then in the field that says “Number of services to show”, enter -1 so all of the publicly published service items will be displayed.

Regards,
Kharis

Hi there,

Sorry to interject. Noticed that you suggested linking to a separate page for a specific service by specifying link in “Service Link” field. In that situation how does one disable the service permalink so that it does not link to two places - permalink post AND service link.

Thanks for your help!

Hello @gromore,

If a custom link be specified in the “Service link” field, the default permalink won’t be printed out in the widget. But it is replaced with the custom link.

Regards,
Kharis

Thank you for responding! For some reason that is not how the published site is behaving. Both permalink and service link are set. After publishing, clicking from menu for example leads to permalink post. Clicking on the services “page” link for specific service leads to service link page.

Thanks for your help!