Browser back button not working as expected

Hi there. My website that I am working on is http://wickett.design

My homepage is static and anchored, after navigating to the portfolio section, and clicking on an item, you are redirected to a blog post.

From here, I press the native back button on either chrome desktop or android, and only SOMETIMES does the browser return me to the same point in the list of portfolio items.

Othertimes, the browser will have randomly scrolled to a different location on the page.

After asking my friends to look on their devices, the issue seems to be more prominent on mobile, but I’ve also experienced it on desktop. I’ve also installed Edge and Firefox on mobile and have the same issues.

Any help would be appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello there,

It seems likely this issue isn’t with the theme’s code or menu link setting under Appearance > Menus. I feel it’s more likely web browser’s behavior – which’s really out of our control. Let me consult to our lead developer about this. Let’s see what he would be saying about this.

Regards,
Kharis

Thanks Kharis.
I thought as much, but I feel there must have been a mistake on my end at some point to trigger this behaviour.
I was hoping somebody a bit more experienced than me would have a suggestion.

Hello there,

Our lead developer suspected that this is a result of either main slider or portfolio section which its height expands right after its images completely loaded. Before they’re loaded, the mobile viewport already has gone to target section. Thus the target section shifts up/down. This situation really reached code limitation. I am sorry :frowning:

Regards,
Kharis

Hi Kharis,
I deactivated the slider (Smart Slider 3) plugin to test whether this was indeed the case, but unfortunately the issue persists.

Is there any way to change the order in which the mobile viewport goes to the target section? Or maybe a way to speed up the image load times enough to counteract the issue?
Thanks again
Ben

Hello again.
I’ve tried various measures over the past couple of hours and thought I’d fill you in.
If your theory on the load times is correct, it is not due to the slider, because the issue persisted after deactivating it.
I have tried several different portfolio plugins instead of the Perth Portfolio plugin, but I’m not pleased with the look or use of any of them and would like to keep the original.
It doesn’t make sense to me that only SOMETIMES the issue occurs, as surely if it was a loading-time issue, the browser would consistently jump to location before the portfolio loads in, whereas this is not always the case. Is there potentially something in the Perth Portfolio code I could edit to make it load before the browser jumps?

I have ran out of ideas and I am counting on any help or assistance you could provide, and would be extremely grateful if this could be resolved.

Thanks again
Ben