Blog width and sidebar headings

I’ve a request to change the column width of the blog and sidebar. Can the width of the blog be decreased and the sidebar be decreased?
Is there a way to have the ellipses at end of the blog excerpt be a link to the full blog post? Right now, I have excerpts appearing on the home page and the main blog page.
Also, the widget titles in the sidebar are not displaying the color set as specified by h3 in my Custom CSS.
Thanks in advance,
Kay

http://ec2-52-9-162-238.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/wordpress/
http://ec2-52-9-162-238.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/wordpress/swivelblog2/

Hello Kay,

> Can the width of the blog be decreased and the sidebar be decreased?

Try to apply the following CSS code through the Simple Custom CSS plugin or child theme’s style.css.

@media only screen and (min-width:992px){

.blog .content-area,
  .archive .content-area,
  .single-post .content-area{
    width: 60%;
  }

.blog .widget-area,
  .archive .widget-area,
  .single-post .widget-area{
    width: 20%;
    float: right;
  }  

}

Adjust the width values as needed.

> Is there a way to have the ellipses at end of the blog excerpt be a link to the full blog post?

Try to add this function in the child theme’s functions.php file.

function sydney_child_elipsis_link($content) {
	return str_replace('[&hellip;]', '<a href="'. esc_attr(get_permalink()) .'">[&hellip;]</a>', $content);
}
add_filter('the_excerpt', 'sydney_child_elipsis_link');

You would need to download the Sydney child theme here. Then open the style.css file of child theme, replace Template: sydney to Template: sydney-pro-ii.

> the widget titles in the sidebar are not displaying the color set as specified by h3 in my Custom CSS.

Try to apply the following CSS code:

.widget-area .widget-title{
  color: #ff0000 !important;
}

Regards,
Kharis

Hi thanks for your quick response. I tried this CSS. I observed that CSS for decreasing the width and sidebar of blog is working but it is not aligning with the site header as it is leaving gaps between blog content area and sidebar. Can you please suggest how to align the site header also with this CSS if come in force.