Blog posts page editing

Hi,

A couple issues.

1. When I edit my “posts” page, zachwillason.com/blog, changes in the Sydney Pro editor are not being made. For example, when I try to change the background color of the page, the change will not be made.

2. How do I allow for a picture to be shown under the title of the blog posts on the “posts” page?

Is there an Athemes resource or other website resource that I can use to help design and set up my blog posts page and individual blog post pages? I am new to setting up a blog, and have examples of what I would like it to look like, but not sure how to get there.

Thanks!!!

Hi,

1. WordPress doesn’t treat the blog page as a regular page. Therefore those options won’t work as on regular pages. I would however be happy to help you with custom CSS if you tell me what you want to do.

2. You need to set a featured image for your post, though the posts layout in the theme is image->title->content. So the image will be above the title.

To do substantial layout and design changes you’d need to actually code those changes yourself. Familiarize yourself with child themes first as that’s where you will want to make your changes.

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for reaching out!

Here are some custom changes I would like to make:

1. Create a white background for the blog page. (I assume I can use the code you give me to then make it any color I would like).
  2. When you SCROLL on a page, the site header becomes locked with a black background. I would like to have that locked, with the black background, permanently on the blogs page, and each individual post page.
  3. I would like to display post pictures UNDER the title of the posts.
  4. How can I change the size of the post titles? And edit the font of the post previews? Are there settings for this in the theme, or will these require special code as well?

In reference to your last point, using the Simple CSS plugin works the same way as a child theme, correct? I am already using that plugin for my CSS changes.

Thanks a bunch man!! It is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

body.blog {
    background-color: #fff;
    background-image: none;
}

1. Go to Customize > Header Area > Header Type and choose No Header for the second radio. Right now you have selected to display an image but you don’t have the image set.
  2. That’s not possible for featured images. Not without a child theme.
  3. Here’s how you can change the font size only for the post titles, without affecting any other H’s:

.hentry .title-post {
    font-size: 20px;
}

You can find the font options in Customize > Fonts.

No. That plugin would help you only for CSS code, like the ones I’ve posted above. To do more structure changes, like the one from your 3) point, you would need a child theme.
So if you want to do only CSS changes that plugin is enough, if you want to change the HTML structure or some PHP functions you would need a child theme.

Thanks so much for the help!

Everything you have given me as worked.

AND… with that said… I will create a child theme for Sydney Pro, and then get back to you when that is done, in order make changes such as sticking the featured image below the blog titles.

Thanks again Vlad!

One more thing…

On the “documentation” page, you guys have a blank child theme for Sydney.

This is NOT the same as Sydney Pro, right? Do I need to make my own child theme since I have Sydney Pro?

Thanks!

Vlad,

I went into Customize --> Typography --> Default Typography, and found that “Heading 2” controlled the font for the blog titles. Unfortunately, it seems this also controls the font for the large text on the home screen, inside of the default slider.

How can I fix these and control these separately? And what was the default font for the “Title” text in the header slider?

Thanks

The Typography tab you mention probably comes from a plugin, not from the theme. Our fonts options are in Fonts. That being said, you should stick to only 2 font types, one for the headings and one for the body. The default headings font is Raleway.

You can download that child theme, open up style.css inside the .zip file, and where you see Template: sydney in the first few lines, replace sydney with sydney-pro-ii.

Yes, you are right! My mistake.

As for the edit in the child theme, how do I make these changes?
Do I upload the child theme to Wordpress FIRST, then make the changes inside wordpress?
Or do I need to make the changes before uploading it? If so, how do I make these changes? I cannot seem to open the .zip file to make the changes.

Thanks!

You should make the changes before you upload it, and then re-zip it.

You need to open the .zip file with Winzip or similar software in case you’re on a Mac. If you can’t, feel free to email me at vlad[at]athemes.com and I’ll modify it and send it to you.

Hi Vlad,

Now that I have the child theme installed and everything looking good (back to the way I had it), I would like to display the featured post images BELOW the post titles.
Would you please help me do this?

Thanks man!!!

Zach

I’ll email you later and send you a modified version. If I don’t, feel free to remind me in a couple of hours.

Hey Vlad,

Send me a modified version of what?
The child theme?

I already spent a lot of time re-making the changes I had before installing the recent child theme you sent me.
Can’t I make these changes in the child theme I have so that I don’t have to re-install a new theme and make all of the customizations again?

Thanks!

Hi,

You wouldn’t have to re-make your changes because it’s the same child theme and your options are kept in the database even if you delete it.

Anyway, I’m going to send you now the modified files that you can add to your existing child from FTP. I’ll also send the full child theme in case you want to install it directly.

Thank you soooo much!!!

In the email, could you briefly explain how I would use FTP?

So much appreciated, Vlad…

I’ve already sent it :slight_smile:
I can’t explain I’m afraid as I don’t know if you’re on Mac or PC. But if you’re on PC you can use Filezilla and find tutorials for it. Anyway, check my email.

I am trying to change the size of the title-post unsuccessfully.

I have a child-theme and have entered this code in my style.css:

.hentry .title-post {
    font-size: 20px;
}

I want to bump it to 35px.

My site is http://bridge2reading.org

Thanks!