Additional CSS menu disappeared

Hello,

We use Sydney theme and WordPress 4.7.3 on www.nyaramstiftelsen.se

I was editing Dashboard > Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS, trying to make the main menu wider, to avoid line a break. I was trying some of the CSS code suggestions given in this support forum. At one point I deleted the code I previoulsy added as the menu did not get wider, and also the help text in the Additional CSS window, and saved. I should not have deleted the help text, as the menu Additional CSS disappeared from Customize menu.

I asked One.com support and they advised that I restore a backup of webcontent and database. I did this from a couple of days earlier. However the problem is still there. Would you know if and how we can get the menu back?

Kind regards,
Hans

Hello Hans,

I have just tried to recreate your issue on my local Sydney install, but that comment keeps appearing after removing and saving.

As an option, you can try to reinstall WordPress. But please create a full site backup first (files and database):
https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups

Also you might want to check this tutorial:

Please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roman

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I see the point fo having a testsite to avoid problems.

I have sent a question to One.com if I can reinstall Wordpress and how.

In the meantime, is it an option to edit style.css file in the Sydney theme instead to make the main menu wider?

Thank you,
Hans

Hello Hans,

Can you please provide some explanatory screenshots?

You can upload screenshots to your WordPress Media Library and share a link, or you can use one of the online services (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.).

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hello Roman,

The screensnap on this link shows the logo and menu to the right:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxP93OZeGmkTRDVJSjF1amhEeDQ/view?usp=sharing

I would like add one or two additional menus if possible, using the space available between the logo and Stiftelsen menu. (The red line is indicating how much of the space I would like to use.)

If I add another top level menu now, the menu is shown on two lines, instead of on just one line using the space between logo and Stiftelsen.

Regards,
Hans

Hello Hans,

Please check this topic:

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hello Roman,

The advise in the link you sent did solve the issue, I added the code to style.css for Sydney theme on my test site.

When doing the same on the production site nothing happened unfortunately, the main menu did not get wider.

I wonder if lost Additional CSS menu could be affecting. When I removed the editable text under Additional CSS, do you know what file this was stored in? I could add back the default information if I know which file it is.

Best regards,
Hans

Hello Hans,

You can use a child theme to add additional CSS, you can add additional CSS code into style.css file of a child theme. You can download Sydney child theme here:
http://docs.athemes.com/article/232-child-theme-for-sydney

Did you try to reinstall WordPress?

Iā€™m not sure which file contains that comment.

Kind Regards, Roman.

Hi Roman,

Reinstalling Wordpress did the trick. The menu came back and I could add the code to Additional CSS. The result was good and we can make the main menu wider now.

Many thanks!
Hans

Great! You are welcome Hans :slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Roman.