Added SSL certificate - now slider images are "insecure"

I set up my site using Sydney, then decided to get an SSL certificate. Almost everything worked just fine. Almost.

The home page (static) is showing “insecure content”. apparently the images I uploaded and used for the sliders are still being called as “HTTP://…” vs “HTTPS://…”.

This is the error message I got (using Chrome):

`JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.1 (index):1 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://www.tnalpha.com/' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://www.tnalpha.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/sigep-flag.jpeg'. This content should also be served over HTTPS. (index):1 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://www.tnalpha.com/' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://www.tnalpha.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/SigEpHouse-1920-1832.jpg'. This content should also be served over HTTPS. (index):1 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://www.tnalpha.com/' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://www.tnalpha.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/SigEpTNA-2273.jpg'. This content should also be served over HTTPS. (unknown) TypeError: Failed to execute 'getComputedStyle' on 'Window': parameter 1 is not of type 'Element'. at <anonymous>:3:421 at G_cp_X (<anonymous>:4:73) at <anonymous>:4:80`

I installed the “SSL Insecure Content Fixer”, and had to take it all the way to the top level of “fix it intrusion” to get the padlock to show. I am not comfortable with that level of intrusion. Is there anything else I can do to fix this?

Or better still can the aThemes folks treat this as an issue and fix the theme?

Hello there,

It seems like the attachment URLs which are attributed to the slide items aren’t instantly updated to https. Try this plugin to fix it. If it remains the same, try to reupload them.

Regards,
Kharis

Hi,

We can’t treat it as an issue or fix it in the theme because nothing is actually broken. The theme is just displaying an image from an option, it does not set a protocol to it.

When you switch to https you’re supposed to do a database search/replace and fix all existing links and assets, or even simpler you can use a plugin like this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/really-simple-ssl/

Resolved! - I was able to fix it simply.

Step 1. I re-uploaded the images to the “media” area and made sure the url used "https://…"
Step 2. Go to the header-slider area in "Customize"
Step 3. Remove all the slider images (I have 3), then "Save and Publish"
Step 4. Select the images for the sliders again from my "Media"
Step 5 “Save and Publish.”

All is well! Did not need the additional plugins after all.

Thanks for helping me with “getting outside myself” so I could find a simple solution.

That’s great, but it still won’t solve the issue for other internal links in case you have any. So keep an eye out for them and if needed use that plugin.

Good point. I have not seen any other issues, but it’s always good to have that plugin “just in case”.