Add social links menu to header slider

Hi,

I’ve added a header slider to my website, and underneath the subtitle on the header slider, where initially there was a call to action button, I would like to have a social links menu. I made a social links menu already and I’ve downloaded a plug in to display the social icons, but how do I get the menu to appear underneath the subtitle?

Here’s my website: www.ohprettypaper.nl

So underneath 'letterpress | illustratie | handlettering 'I would like to have social icons that link to my social accounts. Is there any way that I can do this?

Many thanks in advance!

Hello there,

Thank you for asking. In order to achieve that objective, please consider to follow my short tutorial previously posted here https://athemes.com/forums/topic/search-widget-on-header-image/#post-160602. You should do some code adjustments as needed.

Regards,
Kharis

HI,

Thank you for your response. I don’t actually have a front page though, I only see two pages in the 'pages’section, which are 'contact’and ‘pretty projects’. The front page is only a header slider, there doesn’t seem to be a page for it if that’s possible? So I don’t know where I can add a new row…??

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

Hello there,

I thought it is still possible to do by using a page. Create a new page with the title “Home” or whatever you like. You can add a new row in the page builder editor. To set your newly created page as front page, go to Settings > Reading > Front page displays > A static page (select below) > Select your page.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Kharis

Hi,

I can add a static homepage and then put the social menu there, but what I want is the social menu to show up in the header. I have a header slider installed and I want the social icons to be under the logo. The header slider I definitely want to keep and I like my blogposts to show up underneath so ideally I don’t want to work with a static homepage anyway.

I suppose the real problem is that the sydney team only offers one menu location. Is there a way to change this so that I can add a menu location that I can use for the social menu? My hosting provider doesn’t offer Cpanel so I can’t use that to add a menu location.

Many thanks in advance for getting back to me again :slight_smile:

team = theme :wink:

Hello there,

In order to extend the Sydney theme’s feature, it is highly recommended to do modifications in a child theme mode. Download this Sydney child theme.

To add a new custom menu location, firstly you should need to add the following function into the functions.php file of the child theme.

add_action('after_setup_theme', 'sydney_child_theme_setup');
function sydney_child_theme_setup(){

register_nav_menus( array(
		'social' => __( 'Social Menu', 'sydney' ),
	) );

}

To display the menu location in the header underneath the logo, copy the header.php file from parent theme, then paste to the child theme folder. Then replace this code with this one.

Lastly, install and activate the child theme.

I hope this reply helps.

Regards,
Kharis